• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting to JV

Peacefrog53

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys so I'm going to be towing a pop up. Lol And i'm not 100% sure about going up the Cajon. Anyone know of an easier route out there, or am I doomed to ride with the tractor trailers? We will be coming from south OC.

You could go up to Big Bear then take the 18... But that would be dumb.....

The big rigs won't bother you. Just stay in the right lane and find a good comfortable speed that you and the Jeep are happy with.

I go up the Cajon at 45...flooring it. You'll be fine. Just be considerate of the truckers and give them space before crowding into the lane. They have a passing lane and will use it. It's odd watching a tractor trailer pass you at 60 while flooring it.

According to Mapquest it's only 5 miles longer that way!

It's a long five miles. Only really an option if you're over that way or need to pick up some meth in Landers on the way in.

You could take the 10 to the 62

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH! Good call.

And you don't have to go through Fon-tucky!

Win-Win!

That's a steeper incline than the 15. I'm pretty sure it's only two lanes in each direction. I avoid that as much as possible. In my opinion, it's more dangerous than the 15. The turns are tighter and people are more in a hurry on that highway. I'm pretty sure that there's not an emergency lane the whole way up there....

Anywho... The 15 has been a better drive lately because they have that slow lane after the 138.

Gotto go.. Baby just woke up.

E

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH! Good call.

And you don't have to go through Fon-tucky!

Win-Win!
the 10 goes straight through Fontucky. :lecture:

Another vote for Cajon.

When are you leaving...if the timing is good you could hitch it to my truck for the ride up the pass....I wouldn't even notice.

Bingo! You haVe the yucaipa grade, whitewater grade, the s turns throught the mountains, and the morongo grade...that is usually the way I take, but if I am going to tow, I prefer the 15 fwy...
That's a steeper incline than the 15. I'm pretty sure it's only two lanes in each direction. I avoid that as much as possible. In my opinion, it's more dangerous than the 15. The turns are tighter and people are more in a hurry on that highway. I'm pretty sure that there's not an emergency lane the whole way up there....

Anywho... The 15 has been a better drive lately because they have that slow lane after the 138.

Gotto go.. Baby just woke up.

E

Ok. It's unanimous. I'll take the 15. And just found out the Damn trailer has brakes and of course the jeep doesn't have the module. Guess u guys will get to bag on the roommates tahoe again. Lol.

I wouldn't worry about your Tahoe taking any flak this trip................

O its not mine. It's the roommates. And it was actually pretty funny to hear the comments on the cb going up cleghorn. This just means more room for beer having the two trucks and all.

Thanks for the info fellas. See yall soon. GOAT...GOAT...GOAT...

I'd rather do Cajon that the 62 and 247 grades.

this x100

the cajon pass is just 2 long grades, the other way is lots of steep ups and downs for a looooooong time. I always take the pass now, it takes a little longer but much easier on the ol' transmission.

x4 on that - those grades really, really hurt. I'm in Yucaipa and so it really makes more sense logistically to go that way but dang, talk about going nowhere with the pedal to the floor. Irks me to no end.

Interesting... From San Diego I always go 15/Domenigoni/Up thru Beaumont to the 10E/62N/247N. Even when I was towing the Egg trailer with stock gearing and stock tires. And 4.56's and 31s. Only time I went the other way was when I caravanned with Finch from San Gabriel. I think I'd be scared to try the Cajon/15 route; I'd probably get lost!

Back