• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange oil filter

hebertracing

NAXJA Forum User
i just did my first oil change on my heep, and the oil filter (Mobil m1-204) did not fit my jeep. i took the old oil filter off which was a penszoil pz-21, and replaced it with the bosch 3330. has anybody heard of this? the mobil m1 204 canister simply hit the engine block. it was too wide. i also tried the STP equivalent which i think was the STP s16, and it had the same issue. i just dont know what the crack head did before me, and its really bothering me. many thanks NAXJA :)

Speaking of oil filters. The oil filter on my 91 XJ screws down onto the oil pump adapter. Is it just me or is this thing upside down. And the spare in my garage has is sideways meaning you screw it from the back to the front of the motor. Which way does this thing sit ? I always knew filters to screw on from bottom up.

Sent from my Samsung Infuse 4G

Make sure you are using the right filter. There's normally a sticker on your firewall showing you. Mine shows an adapter was added to mine

Speaking of oil filters. The oil filter on my 91 XJ screws down onto the oil pump adapter. Is it just me or is this thing upside down. And the spare in my garage has is sideways meaning you screw it from the back to the front of the motor. Which way does this thing sit ? I always knew filters to screw on from bottom up.

My 89 renix I can unscrew from the engine bay :) it threads on so the threaded end is pointing towards the ground. My 2000 threaded on sideways...

Not a pipe thread, it is a machine thread. Pipe threads taper and the filter threads are straight. Minor point...

Are you 100% sure on that? I coulda sworn the nipple I got from Jeep to convert my Renix OFAs to the later model filter had 3/4" machine where it screwed into the OFA and pipe thread where the oil filter threaded on.

Are you 100% sure on that? I coulda sworn the nipple I got from Jeep to convert my Renix OFAs to the later model filter had 3/4" machine where it screwed into the OFA and pipe thread where the oil filter threaded on.

Yep, that is a regular machine thread, not NPT.

IMG_20111114_125251.jpg

Thanks. I remember when working at the dealership when the oil filters changed from 20mm thread to 3/4". Customers would buy a filter from the parts store for a 91. The store gave them the earlier metric oil filter instead. Customer would install the filter and it would tighten up fine. A while later down the road the metric oil filter would spin right off.

M1-204 should be the right filter for a 96. Wondering if your Jeep hasn't had the engine, or the oil filter adapter swapped out. Does the filter mount vertically or horizontally?

Quick check says the 3330 has 3/4x16 threads... post some pics of your setup if you can.

Last edited:
lol notching the block would cause major oil leaks. but definitely amusing :D

1996 Jeep Cherokee Classic, 4.SLOW :p

oil filter mounds horizontally, facing the firewall. it seems like it screws not parallel but slightly closer to the block.

im stumped

I don't know, it seems ass backwards to me. How is my oil filter trapping any particles etc by being upside down. It also makes for a mess when you unscrew it to change, since everything runs straight out. I always remember unscrewing filters and it held the excess oil while unscrewing and removing

Because its is a filter, not a catch basin. Oil flows through one passage, past the filter media, and then out a separate pathway. It filters no matter what orientation.

Ah okay, funny thing is, it even dumb founded my father and he was diesel mech for 30+ yrs lol. One thing I have noticed though and this is after the motor has been flushed, sea foamed two times, that each oil change at 3,000 - 3,500 miles, the oil comes out black as night. You wouldn't think it would be if the filter was trapping correctly. I run Quaker State 10w-30

Ah okay, funny thing is, it even dumb founded my father and he was diesel mech for 30+ yrs lol. One thing I have noticed though and this is after the motor has been flushed, sea foamed two times, that each oil change at 3,000 - 3,500 miles, the oil comes out black as night. You wouldn't think it would be if the filter was trapping correctly. I run Quaker State 10w-30

I run Rottella 10w-30 in my 90 RENIX, always have since the motor was rebuilt in 2007. I still have the vertical mounted OFA and my oil comes out fairly clean after every 3k change.

I say ditch the quacker state and get some good oil in that engine! Diesel oil has much better cleaning qualities than conventional oil and is also much better for your camshaft/lifters. I use WIX filters religiously as well.

So it's only the one brand that didn't fit but other brands do?

Shine a light into your oil filleer hole on tth valve cover and see just how sludgy this engine is.

I'll have to look around and see who sells Rotella around here. It wouldn't matter switching up oil after all the miles on this motor ? 229,000 + Does Auto Zone carry Wix filters ? The motor runs super smooth and passes emissions with ease.
I replaced the valve cover gasket last year and the top of the motor was virtually clean. I'll try the flashlight and peek just to do so.

Back