• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Using old tranny cooler as a oil cooler?

PRYAPSM

NAXJA Forum User
So I am going install a aux tranny cooler this weekend. ( http://www.amazon.com/70264-SuperCooler-Automatic-Transmission-Cooler/dp/B000CIIDZE )
And after exhaustive research I have decided to bypass my radiator. Any thoughts why I shouldn't bypass it though?

Can I use the old tranny cooler as a oil cooler now?

Second question, is anybody running oil coolers in the southwest? Or in general?

Jeep info
stock 4.0
3 row csf w/ dirtbound fans

Thanks

if you live in a cold climate that freezes often in the winter. i would run both the cooler in the rad and the aux cooler . the one in the rad to help warm the transfluid.but you live in Az. so you can run just the aux cooler.as for the old trans cooler as an engine oil cooler i would say no. all of the aux engine oil coolers i have installed have 1/2 in hose or line.there would be enough volume for the oil to flow.

I would definitely suggest using the A/C condensor as a tranny cooler. As long as you don't see temps well below zero you will be fine. You can run the power steering fluid through the radiator if you like. I usually suggest that people do not run the tranny fluid through the radiator because I had issues with the tranny getting hot and adding heat to the coolant before it went back into the engine.

Running the oil through the old transmission cooler would be a good idea. Besides cooling it if necessary which, from observing my stroker's oil temps is unnecessary, it would help it heat up to temp sooner and burn off water sooner.

Not to hijack.
I have been wanting to bypass my radiator to an upgraded external tranny cooler. Just to keep the added heat away from the radiator.

But I live in kansas and it does freeze all the time in the winter here.

So with the cold temps I cant do this???

Not to hijack.
I have been wanting to bypass my radiator to an upgraded external tranny cooler. Just to keep the added heat away from the radiator.

But I live in kansas and it does freeze all the time in the winter here.

So with the cold temps I cant do this???

The reason I am bypassing the radiator is it never get that cold here in AZ. The internal cooler warms/ cools the tranny fluid.

I agree with Talyn

Running the oil through the old transmission cooler would be a good idea. Besides cooling it if necessary which, from observing my stroker's oil temps is unnecessary, it would help it heat up to temp sooner and burn off water sooner.

So an oil cooler would not even be worth it for a stroker? I am eventually going to stroke mine to a 4.7 and living in AZ, heat is killer. Soo what do you think cooler or no cooler?

I would definitely suggest using the A/C condensor as a tranny cooler. As long as you don't see temps well below zero you will be fine. You can run the power steering fluid through the radiator if you like. I usually suggest that people do not run the tranny fluid through the radiator because I had issues with the tranny getting hot and adding heat to the coolant before it went back into the engine.

So if I used the A/C condenser for a tranny cooler what would I use as a A/C condenser? A larger one from a different vehicle, say a ZJ? What would be more cost effective? The tranny cooler I am looking at I can get it for $56.00.

Thanks

To run a Aux cooler you should run it from the trans to the aux cooler to the rad/factory cooler to the trans. The Aw4 needs to run at a certain temp and over cooling it will be just as bad as overheating it.

So an oil cooler would not even be worth it for a stroker? I am eventually going to stroke mine to a 4.7 and living in AZ, heat is killer. Soo what do you think cooler or no cooler?
Unless you are racing, no an oil cooler isn't worth it. However, running the oil through the radiator would be worth it to heat the oil up quicker.

Unless you are racing, no an oil cooler isn't worth it. However, running the oil through the radiator would be worth it to heat the oil up quicker.

But it wouldn't help to cool it?
I would like to start racing, I plan to do a 65mile race in San Feilpe, Mexico next October.

I was assuming from your posts you were not planning to run A/C. It would be far more work than it's worth to use 2 condensors.

Agree that it would be far more work to run to A/C condensors. There would no way I could remove the A/C, the old lady would kill me! She blasts the A/C when its in the 70s.

To run a Aux cooler you should run it from the trans to the aux cooler to the rad/factory cooler to the trans. The Aw4 needs to run at a certain temp and over cooling it will be just as bad as overheating it.

Do you have any documentation that shows that, there are so many different views on which way to run it. Before the radiator, after the radiator or bypass the radiator so on and so on..

From what I have been reading, if you are going to install a aux tranny cooler in a colder climate you need continue to run transmission fluid though the radiator so it can maintain at least 170. But I live in AZ and I will never see below freezing temps. The coldest it gets here is low 40s. And thats the main reason people continue to run it though the radiator. Nobody has said anything about it running to cool?

For the best of everything(wear-n-tear,fuel milage,etc),all fluids need to be at their proper operating temperatures.So yes being too cool can be issue also!

How would running the oil through the radiator help to warm up the oil sooner, until the thermostat opens, there's no flow through the radiator. If the blocks hot enough to open the thermostat I'd almost garauntee the oil is already up to temp.

How would running the oil through the radiator help to warm up the oil sooner, until the thermostat opens, there's no flow through the radiator. If the blocks hot enough to open the thermostat I'd almost garauntee the oil is already up to temp.

The thermostat opens and the coolant is up to temp way before the oil is close to running temp. So the coolant would help to warm the oil up quicker. For example, on my 15 minute drive to work in 70 * weather the coolant comes up to 210* in about 10 minutes. The oil, on the other hand, is just reaching 110* by the end of the drive.

Back