• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tune up recommendations for emmissions

mudhound32

NAXJA Forum User
I took my 89 Cherokee with 211,000 miles to the shop the other day for my annual inspection but failed the emmissions portion! The mechanic told me I need a tune up and will make it pass for $200. Being a tight wad and a do-it-yourselfer this is something I have done in the past and will do it for alot less the 200 beans. However I think it may be more then a mear tune up as I noticed when the engine is warm the exaust has a rotton egg type of smell which leads me to believe its either the new cat burning in or there is a bigger problem.
My other question is, for my last tune up I used Bosh Platinum plugs, but heard these may not be the best for our Jeeps. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

RE: tuneup

Well after more searching on the site I found some of my answers as far as what plugs to use etc.. Sounds like Champions are the way to go along with OEM parts.

I was wondering if the crankcase sensor would play a part in runing rich and adding to stinky exaust and if the TPS/IAC as well. Every now and again when she won't start I have to unplug and replug the crankcase sensor and starts up. And for the intermittent hi idle I get every now and again I jiggle the TPS/IAC wires and seems to bring it back down to normal. I know it should be tested and changed..

Thanks,
Mike

I would replace that Crank sensor. For the high idle, clean the throttle body really good. Take if off and clean everything you can get to with a old tooth brush. Spray the clean down into the intake as well. This will solve that problem. Might want to replace the TPS but check the voltage of it first. Do a search on that. if it's gone south replace it. Juice

Back