• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

turn key and nothing at all

nomorecash

NAXJA Forum User
driving to work and she just shut down. turn the key and nothing no fuel pump, radio, power windows nothing

head lights still work, power locks work

fuses look good, fusable links look good, ign switch is less than a year old, batt 2 years old

she is a 1987 4.0 5speed

any ideas would be great
thanks

i was thinking of that.. how should it test? the main post has power but the other 3 dont

thanks for the help

please keep them coming

i was thinking of that.. how should it test? the main post has power but the other 3 dont

thanks for the help

please keep them coming

big post will have power anytime the battery is connected, the other posts won't have power without the ignition switch sending power back to it.

You are looking for a green fuse link coming off the big post and feeding power to the ignition switch. It changes from green to red after the fuse link and is supposed to supply battery power to the switch for everything it controls.

had a similar situation with my renix about 3-4 years ago.... ign switch... check, fusible links, check..... ECU? EHHHHH!

I was told that ecu's dont go out that often, but swapping mine for a known good and it cranked right over first try... my ecu smelt burnt.... maybe swap one out if youve got a spare or a 2nd matching jeep.

that doesn't pass the "could be test"

the power from the battery for the engine to crank goes through the fuse link, through the firewall C-101 connector, through the ignition switch, back to the starter relay, and grounds through the neutral safety switch. If it's got a bad ECU, it wouldn't keep it from cranking.

Take apart the c-101 connector and check it? What post on the ign switch should have power? Can I jump it?

Last edited:
definitely clean the C-101

don't recall which pin it is on the switch, but it's the big red wire that supplies power according to the Factory Shop Man. wiring diagram.

jeep is at inlaws (30 miles away) i have never taken a firewall conector apart any advice?

It's just another plug.... except it uses a small bolt in the middle to secure it.

It also seperates in 2 pieces once you have it unplugged and depress the little clips that keep it together. If it failed at the plug and melted it it may be hard to unplug, if it all looks good there makes sure you have power at the plug before you put it back together.

bolted together through the center-- 8mm IIRC.

1)disconnect battery
2)unbolt the plug
3)spray type electrical cleaner and a brush
4)dielectric grease
5)re-attach plug
6)connect battery
7)hope-n-pray

that doesn't pass the "could be test"

the power from the battery for the engine to crank goes through the fuse link, through the firewall C-101 connector, through the ignition switch, back to the starter relay, and grounds through the neutral safety switch. If it's got a bad ECU, it wouldn't keep it from cranking.

i doubt he'd remember, but feel free to ask cal, he successfully diagnosed my no-crank as the ecu....

bro, maybe a loose ignition switch?try wiggling it it and starting at same time.

Back