• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Master Cylinder decision time...

Paintballpsyco2369

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I finished harvesting the parts from my ZJ to put on my XJ, and now I think I ran into another small issue. Here is what I have from the ZJ:
DSC_0215.jpg

It was an ABS, disk front and rear vehicle and as a result it has 2 lines coming off the Master Cylinder for the Hydraulic Control Unit. So I would have to find a way to plug the lines, unless there is way to remove the fittings or something and put a plug in the ports.

Here is the old XJ Master Cylinder:
DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

This is from the original brake system in my 88 XJ. I never really had any issues with it or anything and I still have it so I figured it might be worth consideration. It is from a non-abs Jeep with disk and drum brakes. I know it needs a cleanup and to be cleaned out, but if it would be a better choice, I will do it. The new axles are from a 98 XJ up front and a Ford 8.8 in the rear so they are disks all around.

So here is what I am wondering, should I use the ZJ Master or clean up the old XJ Master and re-use it with the ZJ's Booster and Prop valve? Thanks for all the help again guys, I do really appreciate it.

Paint

OK, so I fell kind of like a dumbass now. The sizes of the masters on the 2 setups are WAY different at the connection... I ended up taking the master off the new system to clean up the rust and get it re-painted before I put it in. Upon removal, I noticed this issue now, the lines for the ABS' HCU are part of the fluid reservoir so it looks like my options are shorten and plug the rubber lines, or get a new reservoir.

Any suggestions? Thanks again for the advice and help with all this stuff.

Paint

I would try to replace the reservoir or get another master w/ reservoir.

I think that is what I am going to do. I have been looking at some of the prices for a whole new master and reservoir combo and it's a bit more than I am looking to spend right now, but may be the route I have to go. I am going to for sure look for a new reservoir at the least, hopefully find something I can use on the MC I have... Thanks again,

Paint

Back