• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did my leaf springs today.

jackate

NAXJA Forum User
1999, 4.0, 188,000

I used a 1/2 impact wrench I rented from Home Depot which helped allot. I was concerned about the front bolts being rusted in the bushings or not coming out, but they came out fine. I had to use a little map gas near the end of the bolt and burn away some bushing after that they came out fine with no damage to the welded nuts.

I did not change the back shackle so the only time consuming thing for me was getting the bolt to go through the back shackle into the leaf eye. Lining it up took too long for each one, but they went in.

I had orderd some extra bolts from team cherokee but really did not need them, all the hardware came off OK and in good shape.

These are the spring I used.
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product-information.asp?number=4886186AB

They gave the jeep the lift it needed but not to much, looks right now with no sag.

Oh always be carefull and work on a level surface, I am usually very carefull, but today instead of moving my jeep into the garage to work on it, I did it outside in my drive way, that has a slight rake to it. Big mistake with all the jacking and moving around to get the back leaf bolts in, the jeep slowly rolled off the jack stands sideways. No damage to me or the jeep luckly, but I will never forget to always work on a level surface again. Stupid Me!!!!!!!!!

No complications except my own mistake, took about 4 to 5 hours working by myself, I am glad I did not need a right angle grinder or have to cut anything, everything came off the way it should.

Back