• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exo Cage ideas

ffjosh

NAXJA Forum User
I've been searching for exo cage ideas and have a lot of them but am having a hard time trying to find out which ones are good. I have seen some pictures of exo cages just fold over because of lack of support.

I would also guess where it mounts to the frame would be part of how good it is which I have not found many good pics of that.

The purpose of my cage is #1 driver/passenger protection #2 keep the uni body from flexing #3 body protection.

I would like to design it so later down the road I could un bolt if I needed too. For some reason I was told a exo cage is illegal on the road? I dunno I cant find much information over it and my buddy who has one has never been messed with from the local police..they just stare in awwww:laugh2:

If you could post some pics of very good built cages...

I do have a 4 door XJ and the simpler the cage the better.

Some I like

2hxvfi8.jpg

j.jpg

I like of like the top of this one, but I was thinking more triangulation in the back?
5319.jpg

I've been searching for exo cage ideas ...

The purpose of my cage is #1 driver/passenger protection #2 keep the uni body from flexing #3 body protection...

I do have a 4 door XJ and the simpler the cage the better.

I would like to keep the body as in tack as possible. The only hole i plan on having is for the tubes for my 5 points.

nothing simple about any cage. you will need alot of thought into it. you don't need to go all tube crazy and have 180ft of tubing into it.

and you will need to cut holes somewhere to provide tubes for lateral support. if not then your cage will be one time use only.

the link posted is an excellent example of a well thought out and executed cage design.

fenders are cheap and easy to replace, no need to care about them.

fenders are cheap and easy to replace, no need to care about them.

Exactly, Body damage happens unless you happen to be XJEEPER......:D

Body protection should be the last of your worries, I'd rather have myself and the passengers safe first and foremost!

I do not find them to be very aesthetically pleasing. A good set of sliders and a roof slider on a hybrid cage with some common sense while driving will keep your doors straight...

If you're worried about keeping it pretty don't put it in a tough spot...

I do not find them to be very aesthetically pleasing. A good set of sliders and a roof slider on a hybrid cage with some common sense while driving will keep your doors straight...

If you're worried about keeping it pretty don't put it in a tough spot...

Def don't agree. I'd sure would like to exo cage mine this summer, but we'll see how things go. I like the idea of being able to take a little roll and then just push/pull it back up on all fours and keep going. Instead of rolling a stock Jeep and crushing all the pillars in and totally f@%! up your Jeep. Idk I"ve seen some cages take some pretty big hits and keep going. Had a friend roll his CJ, which had a cage, and we just winched him back up and he kept on with just a little ding in his fender.

Def don't agree. I'd sure would like to exo cage mine this summer, but we'll see how things go.

Had a friend roll his CJ, which had a cage, and we just winched him back up and he kept on with just a little ding in his fender.

hmmm... unless it was a buggy with some cj skins, i'd guess that cj had a pretty standard cage.

looks like you just made a valid point at not needing an exo and going with a hybrid.

your choice dude

That one is mine but at the time it was only half finished.
Here is the full write-up: http://ericsxj.com/cage/cage.htm

I've ridden in the back of Eric's, and I can say that the body is VERY stiff, it's unbelievable, compared to my tin can.

He also did a good job of keeping the front bars outside, however the b pillar bars come into the rear seat. I was able to fit back there fine.

I vote hybrid exo/interior/halo cage.

hmmm... unless it was a buggy with some cj skins, i'd guess that cj had a pretty standard cage.

looks like you just made a valid point at not needing an exo and going with a hybrid.

your choice dude

Going to assume you have seen the difference between a CJ and an XJ? CJ had no top and no front windshield. So when it rolled it dented the front fender and just landed on the cage. Do that in an XJ and you going to XXXX your XJ up have to have it towed out and then have some major repair ahead of you. Even if you have an internal you going to bash up ur XJ bad if you roll it. I'm all about wheeling my Jeep and taking it to the limit but I'm not going to tear it up and make it look like trash. Get an exo and you will significantly lesson damage if you roll it, if you even have any body damage at all.

And we all know how well an exo cage will handle a roll

More pics? Looks like all of his pillars and his roof are just fine. Appears the cage did it's job, seeing as how it's chillin on it's roof and not caved in. Boohoo he has to get a new hatch....point proven, thanks.

His jeep could look like this guys:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-BzFfRzZ6w&feature=related

Don't really understand why you wouldn't want an exo? Why wouldn't you want to put a cage on the outside to protect both you as well as your Jeep? I have quite a bit invested in my Jeep and would sure like to keep it as nice looking as possible. Yea let's add a cage to the inside and make the already small interior smaller and from the interior cages I've seen it totally ruins the ability to lay the seats down and actually use the cargo space.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help.

My #1 concern is safety, so whatever it takes I will do. If its cutting more holes into my interior so be it.

I want a cage I can roll over and keep on going. The pic that was just posted is exactly what im trying to avoid.

I like the tube over the fenders as well because it seems like we rest our toys against trees alot. lol Having tubes around the fenders seems to help the, glide around them rather then sticky and ripping the body to pieces.

I have built a tube frame for a side x side before so I am not a complete newb, but I do like to research and make sure I am not messing up or wasting time.

Back