• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB's

InlandZJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking into purchasing a unit but what should i look for in general? I thought about truck stops versus radio shack or best buy. Also are they easy to install?

Thanks guys.

I usually just buy a cheap cobra from radio shack. They work and they are very easy to install it is usually just a switched power cable, a constant power cable, a ground and an antenna.

You don't need to dump a grip on a cb a cheap one will work, and they are super sinchy to put in, just wire it to the battery. :)

i bought my radio shack brand for 50 a while back and it still works great

I payed $34 shipped for a small Cobra on Amazon.You can either wire it to the battery and take the chance on picking up engine noise or you can find a opening in your fuse box and use a add-a-fuse.

I payed $34 shipped for a small Cobra on Amazon.Y

x2 on Amazon. Radio Shack prices for CB's are too high.

I ended up using a portable CB, I made a mount, and use a hand mic. If I need to, I can grab the unit and carry it. Otherwise it is hooked up to the antenna I installed on the roof for better range.

Charles B.

This one:

1001Z_Lg.jpg

I have Uniden with weather channel in my XJ that I bought looong time ago and very happy with it. Also check out the Midland 75-822 there are many positive feedback about this unit and I am thinking to get this one for my Durango. See at amazon for $73.00 with free shipping.
I also see the Midland 1001z for $28.99 with free shipping.

go cobra or uniden... i drove trucks for years and have gone through radios... cobras are the best.... if you need help installin hit me up!!

I'm about to pick one up also, anyone know it the antenna from my race radio will work? if so how well?

X2 on the cobra units. They are great radios. I used to be a trucker as well. I actually run a Connex 4600 turbo. It's from my semi and is a bit overkill but it talks for miles.

I'm about to pick one up also, anyone know it the antenna from my race radio will work? if so how well?

I'm gonna say no it will not work. What antenna is it?

Not sure on the brand, it's about a 4' whip from PCI Race Radios.

I don't know much on the race comms. I would imagine it is set for FM freqs. You want AM for your cb. I run a Wilson 5000 on the roof of my XJ. It's tall but its base loaded and does well through the woods. It has great range too. Depending on where you want to mount your antenna you have a few different options.

Just checked your link. A vhf antenna like that won't work.

Back