• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 Bargain XJ

mhopton

NAXJA Forum User
For background, I drive a 99 Classic XJ, 4x4, 115k, daily driver all stock. Great car, I love it. It's my second one. My first was a 98 black sport with steelies, 4x2, AW4, etc. Also a great Jeep that met an early demise in a wreck with only 162k.

So, a few months back, I was heading out to lunch with some guys at the office and offered to drive. Once in my XJ, another guy commented that he wished his XJ looked like mine. After some questioning, turns out he has a 97, or 98 - can't remember, XJ Sport parked in his garage for the past 18-20 months that isn't running. A few more details later and I realize that he's the original owner, it has only 126k on the clock, it's a 4x2, 5sp manual and isn't running only because it threw the belt when the A/C condenser pulley seized. So, casually, I mentioned to him that if he were ever interested in selling, to give me a call as it would be a great 3rd car for mtb'ing, carrying dogs and for my soon to be driving 14y/o Son to learn in.

Well, this week, I got the call. Guy says he didn't really want to sell it, but needs the room and wants to buy some brewing equipment. Says it's not been wrecked, but is filthy and probably isn't worth much. "Sure," I say, let me come take a look. I showed up Sat morning to find a damn fantastic 97-98 black XJ that looks like it needs a bit of TLC.

A peek in when he opened the garage:
1207844000_bmVSY-L.jpg

Now I'm really interested. The Jeep's not wrecked, not beat up, the inside is stain free - a bit dusty and dirty, but stain free, the guy's not a smoker, etc. A look in the window showed me this:
1207843646_pZ4xn-L.jpg

Turns out he's got a nice head unit and MB Quart speakers already in place. PW, PDL are all there, but no CC. Some more questions led me to find out that it had a new clutch at 115k, new tires and all was running good. A valve cover gasket was replaced by the dealer at the same time and he purchased rear brake shoes with the intent of replacing. At the same time he bought an oil pan gasket...they're in the same place they were the day he bought them and when driving home, threw the belt. In the back hatch:
1207843607_WnQNR-L.jpg

To the engine. Battery's dead, so no turning it over. No oil leaks except for the std oil-filter o-rings. All other accessory pulleys turn freely. Coolant in the tank, brake fluid looks ok...no belt though and AC condenser is locked up. Needs a thorough scrubbing with simple green to get the coat of dust off from sitting for awhile.
1207843831_cCM7x-L.jpg

Body is straight, too.
1207843936_FcmVP-L.jpg

1207843616_GTKqX-L.jpg

Front clip isn't even too beat up. Some road debris rash, but with some elbow grease, it should look darn good.
1207843868_q3dK5-L.jpg

At this point, I've made up my mind that I want it and figure that it'll cost $400-500 to get it good running condition again - not including the A/C. So, I'm thinking $2k would probably be a good deal that way I'm in it for less than $3k when all is said and done. So, I ask him how much he wants and he says...., "well, would $500 be too much?" I just about shat myself on the spot and tried not to let my jaw drop. "Uh, no. Are you sure?" He says Yeah and we close a deal. I'm thinking at this time that if this thing is completely a waste of time and money that I can part it and easily double, triple my money.

So...whaddya think? Good deal? Would you guys keep it, fix it and drive it? Or, once it's running good, shine it up and sell it for $3.5-4k? The market here in ATL is easily supportive of that, if not more.

Any thoughts on the cost to replace the A/C condenser and service the thing?

Thanks,
Mike

That's a helluva good deal regardless of condition. I'd almost feel guilty considering that he's a coworker. Pick up a junkyard condenser, new belt, and a battery which total would be about $300 or less. That's probably all it needs to get driven home. I'd keep it and make it a DD.

Any thoughts on the cost to replace the A/C condenser and service the thing?

Thanks,
Mike

Is the AC condenser bad or the AC Compressor?

Compressor should run you between 30-60 at a junkyard, it installs in about 10 mins(with the belt off).

Having a shop recharge it should run you around $100-150, if you were in my area I could do it for $20(since I already have the equipment).

Also, you can add factory cruise control if thats a big deal to you, you need to replace the clockspring, airbag(you have the wrong airbag for the cruise buttons to fit), cruise buttons, and the underhood actuator. It's pretty easy and for a seasoned wrencher(I've done it WAY too many times in the past 2 months) takes about an hour.

You need a 97-01 clockspring with cruise, a 97-01 airbag with cruise(all 99-01 airbags are the same, for some reason jeep used a different airbag cover in 97/98, the 99+ without cruise just have blanks where the buttons should have been), 97/98 cruise buttons(99+ will not work), and a 97-01 actuator, or a 91-96 actuator and splice in the older actuator plug.

Sorry, it is not the condensor, the compressor. I actually don't know if it's bad, or if it just spun the bearing in the clutch. The pulley is locked up, which is what fried the belt.

I like your ideas zluster...

Ball bearings in the clutch are fried. I had mine locked up as well. When I opened mine up, the windings were shot and somehow got into the rotating assembly and pretty much ate itself up.

Thats a good deal in my opinion....Id have added it to the collection in a heart beat.
I ran across a $700 deal similar to yours that as the owner put it had " a unrepairable water leak" . They thought the block was busted and it turned out to be a rusted out freeze plug. I put a rubber expansion plug in it and drove it home :)

Sorry, it is not the condensor, the compressor. I actually don't know if it's bad, or if it just spun the bearing in the clutch. The pulley is locked up, which is what fried the belt.

I like your ideas zluster...

Sometimes the clutch can be replaced without depressurizing the system(though I have never looked in that for this compressor and I cannot speak to if that can actually be done on this model), you might be able to do this quickly, put on a new belt, and drive it home.

There are always three prices for anything. What it is really worth, what you are willing to pay and what the seller wants for it.

$500 is a steller price for this. Blue Book is $1700. Even after repairs, it is a good deal. If I were closer, I would take it if you don't!!!

I'd love to find a $500 '98 that wasn't a complete mess. You can't touch one for that here, even if it's a wreck.

And yeah, no one has ever paid too much for something, or sold it for too little.

here is the one i got last summer for $700. it had 160,000 miles and needed a water pump (see stain in picture) and a transmission solenoid. had it fixed for 50 dollars. the old owner thought the transmission was slipping. It wasn't! it was starting out in third gear because of a open ohms solenoid.

100_1370.jpg

I sure don't think the guy got ripped off - he named his price. Further, he based his price on how much he needed to buy his brewing equipment, not how much the jeep was worth.

Thanks for the encouragement. We're going to get it cleaned up and drive it as a 3rd car and have it for our son to drive when he's 16.

I sure don't think the guy got ripped off - he named his price. Further, he based his price on how much he needed to buy his brewing equipment, not how much the jeep was worth.

Thanks for the encouragement. We're going to get it cleaned up and drive it as a 3rd car and have it for our son to drive when he's 16.

I would only say he got ripped off if you somehow intentionally deceived him into thinking it was only worth $500. But you expected to pay up to 2k, he named the price and asked if it was ok with you so it sounds like you got a hell of a deal and a perfect first vehicle for your son. :thumbup:

here is the one i got last summer for $700. it had 160,000 miles and needed a water pump (see stain in picture) and a transmission solenoid. had it fixed for 50 dollars. the old owner thought the transmission was slipping. It wasn't! it was starting out in third gear because of a open ohms solenoid.

100_1370.jpg

Oh man and thats a 4WD too isn't it! Damn! I never have the cash when I find good stuff like this for sale! You can't touch a decent 4WD XJ for less than 3k around here :rattle:

Time for an update. Got the Jeep home by towing it with my Excursion with me behind the wheel of the jeep and Wife driving the Excursion. Talk about a white knuckle ride....

anyway, pulled out the Autozone Gold Duralast battery and the shredded accessory belt that seemed hopelessly twisted around the fan blade and headed to Autozone. The battery was under warranty still and I got $65 off the cost of the new one - BAM! Back home I put it in, checked the oil and the thing lit up instantly. Drove around the block - yes, w/no belt, and it ran really, really well. Now, I need to figure out how to determine if the compressor is shot, or if it's just the bearing, and if so, how to pull the bearing.

Off to search...

Congrats on the cheap score, but I can't help but fantasize about what brewing equipment he picked up... Damn XJ has been eating all my brewing money these days :(

Back