• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93XJ wiring

i would imagine it would depend on which package you have i.e. sport, country etc... i think only 91-93... at least those are the year brakes in the factory parts catalogue...
i can send you the link if you want... just pm me...

There is a change in the engine wiring harness 91/92-93, headlamp to dash changed 91/92/93.

I think you could modify a 92-95 harness, all OBDI, to fit with a little work and the wiring diagrams from 91 and the donor year vehicle.

Ok, lets start from scratch and see what is up.

You have an 86 XJ, you are putting something in it from a 93 XJ, and you want to wire it all up?

Provide some more details.

OK Joe, here ya go...

It all started with my old 93XJ. For Xmas one year, my parents bought me a saws-all. Shit hit the fan with my Jeep...

before saw...
winterfest2001-trailblazer6.jpg

2 years after getting saw....
IMAG0037.jpg

the plan was simple. make the XJ off road only. get a truck and trailer to tow the Jeep all over and have fun. So i started the process of gutting the interior. any wires not needed was cut out and thrown away. Dash ripped out and pitched.

TubedJeep010.jpg

funds didn't play out rite, so the plan didn't work, and i was left with junk in my driveway that run and drove GREAT!

A year passed and i was able to score a drivable 86XJ for $250. It had the V6 in it that had NO power. The DAY i got it legal, was the day the motor blew. :angel: ..... gave me the reason to drop the ENTIRE drive train from the 93XJ into the 86XJ!

IMAGE_463.jpg

86XJ

IMAGE_467.jpg

86XJ

IMAGE_466.jpg

86XJ

This became a fun build....

cutjeep9.jpg

93XJ

cutjeep.jpg

93XJ

We put the ENTIRE drive train into the 86 from the 93. I had to "graph" the front clip of the 93 onto the 86 so the radiator would fit correctly.

engine, transmission, transfer case first.

IMAG0583.jpg

then the rear axle

IMAG0587.jpg

front axle

IMAG0602.jpg

end look

IMAG0661.jpg

It just didnt look right, not with 12 inch lift in the rear and 6 inch in the front. I begged the wife and she let me get the RE 8" springs for the front.

IMAG0637.jpg

I had some visual issues with the front control arms. i KNEW if i hit something, they would fold... so i went out to buy some steel for the next step.

I built a cross-member for a long-arm front suspension.

IMAG0209.jpg

IMAG0220.jpg

IMAG0437.jpg

Now to buy some tires. I went a set of Cooper Discovery 35's.

IMAG0181.jpg

IMAG0182.jpg

Now she looks better!

On to the next step... Rock rails and bumpers...

IMAG0493.jpg

IMAG0496.jpg

IMAG0505.jpg

Rear Bumper....

IMAG0548.jpg

IMAG0553.jpg

front bumper.....

Now for some electrical stuff.

I knew the 86 interior wiring wouldn't match up to the 93 engine harness, but i said eh, lets try it. the 2 half's bolted together. turn the key and all the interior accessories worked, but not the fuel pump or engine stuff. I installed a jumper wire with a switch from the acc to batt on the fuse box. flipped the switch on, fuel pump and computer turned on. The NSS on the transmission went out years ago, so i pushed the button for the starter... after about 20 trys, the engine fired up and stayed running. :clap:

The only item on the instrument cluster that works is the alt gauge. The heater works, the windows work, and the lights all work.

I want the instrument cluster to work. So this is where i need a new wiring harness. I have tried my hardest to get the 86 interior wiring to match up, but i just cant. Too many wires for my brain to handle. Some people say "just re-use the old harness".... well gee, that's a GREAT idea... IF i had it still !!!1

TubbingtheJeepXJ002.jpg

Interior from my 93XJ

that is one hell of a wiring nightmare you have there... i can't see any other way to fix it other than check out the wiring diagrams for the 86 and the 93... and try to match up the wires... or at least match up the colors of the wires...

This is cool!

Ok, I think you could mod a 91 harness (OBDI) into the 93 powertrain and at least most of the interior. What are your plans for the instrument panel--use the 93 or 91? Should be doable, others on here have put 97+ OBDII into 92 and earlier Comanche and XJs.

that is one hell of a wiring nightmare you have there... i can't see any other way to fix it other than check out the wiring diagrams for the 86 and the 93... and try to match up the wires... or at least match up the colors of the wires...

funny you should say "Nightmare"..... that's what the wife and I nicknamed her :rof:

Are you going to make it to WF? Been a long time. JIM.

Wife and i r adopting our grandson. Atm, we have full custody and r n our 6month waiting period. So WF will b a no-go for 2011 :-( . I have a 20 foot tralor now, no real vehicle to use to tow the jeep. All i have is my 99 ford ranger. Not enough umpf n her to tow a jeep. I hate using my fone to type on here. LoL

Trailblazer and I are going to go Easter Jeep Safari in 2012 if any of you all wanna tag along! Props to you trailblazer for trying to give that kid a good upbringing and adopting him. OK back to the jeep, if you are doing only the interior wiring harness I personally believe that when you hook up the 93 bulkhead to the 91 harness it should be plug and play, what and why would anything have to be modified if you are getting the entire harness from the firewall back if you switch it all out. When I hooked my interior wiring from my 86 XJ wagoneer to the exterior bulkhead from my 88 XJ cherokee they were indeed plug and play and although that is a different model year the two harnesses should be compatible completely. What are you all thinking will be different between the 93 front bulkhead that would affect the 91 fuse box and back?

Back