• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ to XJ gauge cluster

shelbyluvv

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a 94 ZJ V8 as a donor for my MJ. The cluster is too big to fit in the stock XJ opening. I do not want to do another 97+ conversion on this truck. I just recently finished one. While it looks cool I want to retain the old school look with the updated electronics and 5.2 powertrain.

I know the ZJ has one big plug on the back of the cluster (24 pins or so) to run everything from the gauges, speedo, and warning lights. Is there an XJ cluster that I can tear apart and fit the ZJ gauges into? The main thing is the XJ would have to be OBD-I, I think, to not have a speedo cable.

I seem to remember that the 95 or 96 XJ was a switch over year to OBD-II. If an HO model cluster does not have the speedo cable I might be able to work with it.

Also, do all XJ clusters have two plug locations on the back. One for the gauges and the other for the warning lights located on the left side. I know the one out of the MJ (86 model) has two plugs or was it switched later on to a single plug unit?

Pics of the back of the clusters would be a huge help if you have them.

Last edited:
I believe that the HO has 2 plugs as one of them is for elec. speedo.
Renix has one plug and mech speedo cable input.

The 96 and earlier clusters all have 2 connectors (as far as I know), one for the info center on the left side and one for all the gauges. 91-96 clusters are all the same (aside from high/low line differences); 87-90 clusters are all the same except for the tach calibration for 4cyl vs 6cyl (and high/low line differences.) 97 is the first year of CCD signal driven gauges in the XJ.

You might be able to use a 96 ECU and a 97 gauge cluster but I am not sure. No idea on ZJ clusters (some are PCI bus, aren't they? Those ones will be almost completely impossible to get working with an XJ, no matter what year.) Your best bet is to pick up or borrow a ZJ FSM for the year your gauge cluster came from, unfortunately I only have XJ/MJ manuals so I am little help on ZJ data comms right now.

Back