• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EGR valve delete/bypass?

RamlebXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Pulled the manifolds off last night, actually for a 200k vehicle it didnt look that bad. Only thing i saw that was abnormal was the egr valve had a ton of carbon around the inside of the manifold. Im on a crappy mobile phone and the search function is not to friendly, so if there is a way to bypass/delete it so my intake manifold doesn,t suck in exhaust gas a link or explanation would be appreciated greatly.

First of all, I'd suggest that if the egr is not malfunctioning in any way that screws up your engine, you keep it. You'd expect carbon buildup at 200K miles, so just clean it up and put it back. It will not degrade performance significantly if at all, and in fact, since when it's working right it reduces knock at part throttle, it might actually improve performance. The Renix setup includes a knock sensor that retards timing when knock occurs, so if you burn regular gas, the tradeoff of dropping the egr and having the timing go off is probably a wash.

The simplest way to stop the egr from opening is to crimp off the vacuum line to it. As long as it shuts properly, it's easier just to leave it in than to try to remove it entirely. You probably won't notice any change in performance, but it's a good temporary fix if your valve hangs open intermittently and messes up the idle.

Unless your vehicle is unlicensed and off road use only defeating ANY emissions equipment is a violation of federal law, and discussing tampering with emissions equipment on NAXJA is a violation of forum rules.

Clean it up, put it back together, run it legal.

The only time egr really allows any significant amount of exhaust to recirculate is under high vacuum (when you are coasting or light throttle), so you really won't gain any usefull power anyways. Egr's not a "bad" thing.

Back