• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear window that rolls down!

TRANTHAM

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I've searched and only found talk but no one has done it. That I know of...

The goal: Make a back hatch with a roll down window like a bronco!

I'm not very crafty so I want eveyones input on how to do it and how to do it right. Is it even possible? I like to think anything is. What I'll probably do is go to a jeep salvage and buy a rear hatch, that way I don't screw mine up, and start from there.

Workin with a 90 laredo.

Now for the input, READY GO!

i wouldnt waste my time.

especially trying to make it work with a fiberglass hatch. you will have to remove a lot of material, and the hatches arent exactly strong to begin with.

every now and again someone makes a thread about this and untimately they end up tossing the idea out

Jeep doesn't have the hardware for this, so that won't help.

The Fiberglass hatch does have a lot of flex, so that may be a bit of an problem.

The motor and rails would certainly increase the weight of the hatch, so you would need to increase the sizes of the lift shocks.

The rear wiper would have to be a delete because it would be in the way.

What about something manual instead of an electric setup?

Another idea, equally interesting, and possibly more doable, is a rear window which lifts up with the hinge at the top of the gate and the latch at the bottom of the window.

you would have to seperate the outer 'hatch skin' from the inside structure (not gonna happen, sorry.) and re-make the inner peice hallow.

i think you need to start developing mad skills, but i wish you luck.

find the baddest fab shop in town and let them XXXX with it. then let me know how much it costs and take pics.

I could do it, but it would take a lot of fiberglass and fabbing up channels and brackets. You'd need stronger lift struts to hold up the weight. It can be done, but it' will cost you time and money. I thought about a lift window like some Exploders have, but again - too much work.

My sisters WJ has a rear window that opens out. maybe you could do something like that?

A flip-up window wouldn't be extremely hard. The hardest part I can think of would be fabricating mounting points for the glass struts. You'd also need to relocate the glass heating element wires somehow (maybe add your own aftermarket kit to a bare window).

If you buy another hatch try to grab a metal one off of a 97or newer xj,
and maybe look for a bronco or blazer tailgate to swipe the channels and regulator out of.

If all you want is a way to access the back why not convert the window to open out and up something like a Ford Explorer. Less weight and maybe far more doable than a roll down mechanism.

If you buy another hatch try to grab a metal one off of a 97or newer xj,
and maybe look for a bronco or blazer tailgate to swipe the channels and regulator out of.

OR depending on how good your fab skill is...grab a vehicle that has this design you are looking for and is closely the same overall size as the xj hatch and get it to fit?

seems like all your "hard" work of trying to fit it in the hatch would be done...just have to make it NOT look like a$$ fitted to the back on the jeep..hmm that may be pretty hard as well. lol

If youre not very crafty, then I dont see this happening doing it yourself. Youd need some cubic dollars spent at a fab and custom shop to do the job right, and it dont sound like you want to do that, but good idea anyways.

Hmm yeah the fiberglass blows, the newer model ones look weird when on old ones like mine. Not worried about ditching wiper and defroster, and weights not an issue i was planning on having a little overkill with the struts. I hate when they fall down on their own.

I will try and find a motor from a bronco or 4runner. The real concern is will there be enough room for the window to go all the way down? It doesnt look like that can be done with out ditching the lock and i need that.

Im still planning this out, like you guys have said i may not want to waste my time and money but its a learning experience!

ok... that window is about two inches too wide on both sides...

being said i hope i have still given inspiration to those who want to do this.

Why is it that you HAVE to use the fiberglass one? They made the hatch out of metal for some of the years. I've read the hinge is mounted differently, so it would be a custom swap...But with this kind of work do you really care about moving a hinge? lol

If all else fails, you could probably use some of the material the TJ guys use on their windows with the soft-tops (I have no clue what its called...) and just have it snap in place.

I haven't seen anyone mention this, but, wouldn't the fact that the hatch isn't straight up and down cause problems for the whole idea? You'd need a bending window for it to work.

Back