• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dash lights out

UPNOVR

NAXJA Forum User
So I haven't realized it until recently, but the dash lights don't work in my Jeep when I turn on the headlights. Also when I turn on the lights, the turn signal indicators are solid green when the blinkers are not activated. The clock also does not display unless the headlight switch is used to turn to full brightness. I checked all the fuses and they all seem to be good. I was thinking that it was the headlight switch, but due to the way the clock responds, I'm not sure anymore. I don't know what else to check. Any ideas????

For the turn indicators on with the headlights on--start with a walk around of the vehicle, see if any lights are "hinky"--dim, too bright, don't come on. Turn signals, marker lights, hi and lo beams, brake lights, tail lights, reverse lights--check them all VISUALLY, repair any not operating as designed.

Next, again for the turn indicators on with headlights--test the multi-function switch in the steering column.

As for anything electrical "...and they all seem to be good." isn't good enough. Test them with the MM or a 12 volt test light.

Post up what you find.

Thanks for the advise. When I checked all the fuses, I was using a test light. Today I actually removed them to inspect them and it turns out there was some corrosion on a few. After cleaning the fuses with a wire brush I now have dash lights. I still have the issue with the blinkers though. When I turn left, the switch does not terminate. I suspect that it will need to be replaced. Any chance this could also be the cause of the solid lights?

do you have any idea what year your jeep is? because I don't ;)

if its an early column it could be the contacts in the switch on the column, the gm style steering columns used in the 94 and older XJs are prone to turn signal switch problems. the fact that the signal does not terminate when you turn is another indicator of a problem inside the column. There is a part inside called a Turn Signal Cancel Cam. It's made of plastic and they get brittle with age. I would start there if everything electrical checks out.

I would also replace the fuses vs cleaning the contacts on them. corrosion increases resistance, resistance makes heat, and heat makes fire.

Yeah sorry its an 87. I think I know the plastic part in the steering column you are talking about. I had to take apart the steering column to tighten up the bolts and thought the piece looked a little worse for ware. And yes it did not terminate before I took apart the column also. Good call on the fuses. Looks like there is a trip to Autozone in my future.

Edit: This is the piece, right?
getimage.php

Last edited:
Word to the wise--avoid cheap fuses.

Back