• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no reverse lights...nss seems fine

awdxtc

NAXJA Forum User
So today I noticed that my reverse lights do not seem to be working. I did a search on here and everything I read says nss. My xj will start in neutral and park but no other gear. I checked the bulbs and they are fine. I used my meter and there is no power to the lights. Other than the nss what else could it be and is there a way of testing the nss?

I looked up in my FSM for a 99 XJ with automatic and although I don't know the model of your XJ, I think its pretty much the same. Anyways, it said to shift the transmission into reverse, test for continuity at the switch outer terminals and their should be continuity, which I believe would send the juice to the rear lights. So it may just be that the back up portion of the NSS is bad, I hope this helps.

Thanks...I think when I get a free day I am just going to take it apart and clean the dank thing. Is there a tutorial on how to clean the nss?

It always helps if you state the year of your Jeep when you ask tech questions. If we know what year you are working with, we can help you better.

I just had a reverse light problem with my '99. And after changing the NSS, I found out my owner's manual was incorrect. If you have a later model XJ, check the number 10 spot of your fuse panel under the dash, despite the manual saying it is open, mine had a fuse for the reverse lights that had blown.

Sorry my xj is a 2000...are you talking about thefuse box on the passenger side by the kick panel?

Did you actually pull the fuse out and check it, or use a DMM, or was it just a quick visual check?

Back