• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Autolocker question

Sero

NAXJA Forum User
Currently I'm running a detroit in the rear and this winter I'll be doing gears and a locker for the front axle (if life doesn't get in the way) and currently I'm leaning towards another detroit.
So the question is, for those that have experience with an autlocker F&R, has it put you in a scary position and how often did it happen? Would you avoid autolockers front and rear? I'm aware off-camber slippery sitiuations may require more caution, but am I missing anything else?
This is for a 96, running in the northwest, mostly rocky trails/light rock crawling.

thats a question thats been argued about almost as much as ford vs chevy. you are going to get opinion after opinion for both sides. in my opinion its like useing a sharp knife. if you are aware of its dangers, you will most likely be safe. can it cut you? sure, but just know when the sharp edge is going to cut you and be careful. same thinking when having the front auto locker and in 4X4. you just have to remember the dangers, and drive safely. but the plus side is that you have the ability to have all 4 corners locked when you need it. that said, i have a detroit in the rear, and plan to install a selectable in front. so go figure right?

Currently I'm running a detroit in the rear and this winter I'll be doing gears and a locker for the front axle (if life doesn't get in the way) and currently I'm leaning towards another detroit.
So the question is, for those that have experience with an autlocker F&R, has it put you in a scary position and how often did it happen? Would you avoid autolockers front and rear? I'm aware off-camber slippery sitiuations may require more caution, but am I missing anything else?
This is for a 96, running in the northwest, mostly rocky trails/light rock crawling.

Hey Sero, for out here a selectable or limited slip is your best bet in the front. -B

Thanks guys, I realize this is a big grey area here, just looking to see if anybody can say "I did that and will never do it again..."

I'm pretty easy on the skinny pedal and I usually wheel with my kids so I always play it safe when wheeling.

I fully locked front end is not a great idea in snow/ice. The front end will have a tendency to not go in the direction you are wanting it to.

I would say a selectable is your best bet with a LSD a close second.

Trail only rig? Go for it.

Thanks guys, I realize this is a big grey area here, just looking to see if anybody can say "I did that and will never do it again..."

I'm pretty easy on the skinny pedal and I usually wheel with my kids so I always play it safe when wheeling.

I ran a locked front in Manitoba which is flat as a board and wasn't a problem. British Columbia is a totally different enviro. I take my front locker out in the winter and run open. Too many twisties in the mountains. Even for the wheeling you mentioned you don't need a locked front. Since you are doing the front for gears, might as well do it right. Get a selectable and don't look back. -B

PS where in BC are ya?

I'm in the Langley area, so not alot of snow here, how much snow do you get Boom?

I've been in quite a few situations when a front locker would help, so it will get some type of locker sooner or later.

i run a n aussie in the front and im from yakima so we get a lot of snow honestly i have had no problems with it my brother runs the same and loves it in the snow so i think you would be fine

I'm in the Langley area, so not alot of snow here, how much snow do you get Boom?

I've been in quite a few situations when a front locker would help, so it will get some type of locker sooner or later.

Not much snow at all except at high elevation. I live oceanside in the Parksville area. The problem lies when travelling the mountain passes and the twisties with freezing rain and whatnot. I prefer having the open front in those instances. If there was more snow and less rain i'd run a locked front in winter. My 44 swap will get a selectable but for the 30 i'll keep pulling the locker in winter.

all the jeeps i've built have had autolockers front and rear... i live in northwestern pa... in the snow belt... it's only scary if you try to drive a lifted 4x4 like a car... get the locker installed before the weather turns so you can get used to how it handles... in the 7 or so years that i've been driving jeeps locked front and rear i've never had a scary situation due to the front being locker... and i'm a bad driver on the road...

Back