• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm ready to burn it!

CaliXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So it just seems its one thing after another here.
91, 5.5 lift Rc Long arm. IRO HnT with front shaft, 33x1250x15 procomp ats
I just swaped in a 29 spline 8.25 w/ ltd slip. Had no vibs. before swap. Axle was out of another members rig and was given the OK. Meaning they didn't have any problems with it. I haven't been running a front shaft so i know thats not it. This is rear only. (I did the 65mph on jack stands) :D
Ok so i've tried a different drive shaft and vibs still there. I noticed when running it on jack stands, drive side rear tire has a wobble in the tread pattern and the p.side looks to be out of round (up and down motion) Doesn't seem to be the rim that moves but the tire. Could these tires be the problem here? or is the shafts bent? Whats the best way to know if the shafts are bent? I would think Discount tire would have said something if the tires had a problem?

hmmm. have you driven it or just spun it on the jack stands?

I did the swap on sat. And have put 220 miles on it already. I'm parking it till i can figure it out though. I'll be taking it to another tire shop after work to check balance and see if the say anything about the tires. Have them swap the rear back to the front.

Should i re shim?? I'm using 6* now but have 4* laying on my bench. As of now my pinion is pointing at my T case. Could it be the spring purches have a little more angle than my old axle?

Last edited:
Check the angles and also check the driveshaft slip-yoke for excessive wear(real common with stock front shafts).

judging by what you had stated about your tires, you could have a broken band in one. any buldges or bumps in any of them?

Check the angles and also check the driveshaft slip-yoke for excessive wear(real common with stock front shafts).

I'll double check my angles, and slip joint on both shafts that i used are good.

judging by what you had stated about your tires, you could have a broken band in one. any buldges or bumps in any of them?

I didn't notice any bulges But will also check for that.

I'm having similar issues with this IRO H&T. I've balanced, replaced U-joints, shimmed etc, etc. I'm on the verge of installing a traditional SYE.

procomp tires......

I have gone through the same thing on my 99.... I am at 3.5 inch lift with the 8.25 rear and have vibes. Replaced all DS u-joints and Balanced f/r DS, tried 2*, 4*, no shims. Rebuilt the Transfer case output shaft bearings and put in a real SYE thinking the Hnt was part of the issue. Balanced tires, tried a different set of tires.

No matter what I have tried I still get vibes in the rear at 65+. Only thing I can think of at this point is axle wrap is excessive, bad pinion bearing, or wheel bearings.

Currently my pinion is down 1.5 degree compared to DS. I know it is in the rear as with the front DS removed I still get vibes.

Very frustrating..... but I still drive it and am out around $800 trying to track this down. Soon I will have all new Jeep if I keep going... LOL.

What axle did you swap from? If you had a 35, the 8.25 has a longer pinion. Maybe it changed the pinion angle because of the extra length?

Just a thought-

(---Use Extreeeeeme care for safety!!!---)

...running on lift ..

Would it work (?), to narrow down the problem, to ELIMINATE the tires??

As in: Just the Rims, for testing, NO tires!

If its 'smooth', OR not, as the case may be, would save a lot of guessing and expense.

Good Luck,
Orange

What axle did you swap from? If you had a 35, the 8.25 has a longer pinion. Maybe it changed the pinion angle because of the extra length?
I actually went from a 27 spline 8.25 to this 29 spline 8.25.

Just a thought-

(---Use Extreeeeeme care for safety!!!---)

...running on lift ..

Would it work (?), to narrow down the problem, to ELIMINATE the tires??

As in: Just the Rims, for testing, NO tires!

If its 'smooth', OR not, as the case may be, would save a lot of guessing and expense.

Good Luck,
Orange

I would have the same results if i take tires/rims off as well as drums too. ( don't need those flying off)

I'm having similar issues with this IRO H&T. I've balanced, replaced U-joints, shimmed etc, etc. I'm on the verge of installing a traditional SYE.

The IRO kit doesn't use a press fit yoke,that could easily be the problem.

Back