• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which method for engine pull?

zluster

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to decide which way to go, I have everything else out disconnected etc, but I'm not in a rush so I figured I would see which way you guys like.

Many times I pull the engine and trans together, saves the trouble of dropping the trans while in the vehicle. I pulled the 4cyl/4speed 2wd from my MJ that way(likewise when the diesel went in I put both engine and trans in together.

So pulling a 6cyl, AX15, 231. Pull together or drop trans separately?

I drop the tcase but leave the engine and tranny together. Remove the radiator and cross brace. The tcase makes the whole thing really long and quite a bit harder to balance and stuff.

I drop the tcase but leave the engine and tranny together. Remove the radiator and cross brace. The tcase makes the whole thing really long and quite a bit harder to balance and stuff.

Already pulled the header panel and all out of the way.

Thats what I was wondering in terms of balance, when I installed the CRD engine and trans I omitted the 242, simply because I was doing fitment on the trans and engine mounts.(but thats getting to be apples and oranges so its not particularly helpful)

i've always dropped the tranny and t/c together then pull the motor. less weight and easier to manage

May be lighter but it can be a lot tougher to stab the tranny in the vehicle instead of on the hoist.

May be lighter but it can be a lot tougher to stab the tranny in the vehicle instead of on the hoist.

Yup for reinstalling definitely better to install tranny on engine whenever possible. Xfer case is fairly easy to get onto the tranny once its in place.

Removal - don't like the idea of fighting those hard to get to bellhousing bolts if I don't have to.

Back