• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'98 cherokee keyless entry

jeepcomj

NAXJA Forum User
so.

I have a '97 cherokee.

that's running all '98 wiring, which was necessary because the '98 was a 5 speed, the '97 was not, and I wanted a 5 speed.

Anyways.

the '98 had power windows and locks. it also had keyless entry, but no FOB's.

So, I bought a '97-98 fob, and a 99+ fob.

well, then I just HAD to add an overhead console. added one from a '00, complete with the wiring for it from the fuse panel to the OHC, as well as with lighted mirrors.

so, I now have a '97 xj with '98 wiring and power windows/locks, with '00 cruise control, and '98 cruise switches, with an '00 overhead console.

that in mind, I didn't swap the keyless command module out with the '98's.

Here's the question;

since I'm using a 2000 keyless reciever/controller, can I use the 2000 style key fob, or is that determined by the year of ECU? I WANT the new style FOB...I hate the old style FOB.

anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,
Pat

Since you are required to get the keyless entry programmed at the dealership, just drag the whole box of fobs along for the trip. The 00 controller uses the black peanut shaped fobs.

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother with OEM RKE unless you have an obsession with everything on the vehicle being XJ parts (given your project war machine and 3800, I doubt this is the case...) Look into the Chrysler 300M/LHS/New Yorker (etc) 97-down RKE swap. All the parts *should* fit into the space available in the OHC, and you can get the parts cheap.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/ir-rf-keyless-entry-conversion-676076/

XJ parts are just as cheap, and as a bonus, 1997-2001 it's plug and play (if you have factory installed power locks). If you find a 97-01 donor with a matching key fob, it is already programmed and ready to go. All you need is the fob, the wire harness, and the controller circuit board. If your Cherokee already has key less entry, you already have the correct wire harness.

I already installed everything...it required some connector swaps to get it done, because they're different between 98 and 00.

I want factory equipment. It's mostly plug and play, and requires far less effort to install. So thanks for the idea, but I'm not interested in non factory parts.

Back