• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel pump issues?

garciaxj88

NAXJA Forum User
Well heres the story. Earlier i went outside to work on my xj that needed a new battery, battery hold-down, and tray. Well before I got to working on it I had to back it up so that my hood could clear the roof of my porch. Well when I went to start it and when it fired up the fuel pump began to hum. Now i know the pump on jeeps are very common to hum. But the humming from the pump was very loud. Well I finished working on it and started it back up and it was still humming. The humming progressevly got louder. Along with that the RPMs dropped significantly. I kinda revved it up abit and it hesitated to rev. When i let it drop to idle, it idled for about 30sec and cut out and it smelled like it was running rich. After that I wasnt able to start it. I waited for about 5min and she fired back up, with the fuel pump still humming...keep in mind that at the time it was about 112 degrees outside. What i would like to know is could my fuel pump be in its last moments or what? Has anyone had this happen to them?

Last edited:
Yes i have had this happen. The humming stuck around for about 7 months. Then at the worst time it just randomly stalled and never started up at a red light. I would fix it when the money is there

well my dad has a spare fuel pump out of his 93 YJ 4.0. So ill probably consider dropping the tank this weekend. Does anyone know if the pump out of the YJ and XJ are compatable? I know that on the YJ's you only have to replace the pump itself and not the entire assembly...

On an 88?

Yes, could be the pump going out, could be a clogged up fuel filter, could be the rubber fuel line between the fuel pump and the tank flange has 1) split, 2) come loose.

Throw a pressure gauge on the Schrader valve and see what it says.

On an 88?

Yes, could be the pump going out, could be a clogged up fuel filter, could be the rubber fuel line between the fuel pump and the tank flange has 1) split, 2) come loose.

Throw a pressure gauge on the Schrader valve and see what it says.
Yeah its an 88. I know that my brother about a year ago he replaced the filter on it.

Yes, the 93 YJ and 88 XJ with 4.0s use the same pump.

Back