• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installed the new OR-FAB Rear Upper 1/4 Armor on the XJ

I have never seen these before but I like em. I dont really like how the bolts arent recessed and I would like them even more if there was a tail light option but I love how much they cover. Looks great!

wow, 8 weeks to get the armor? wtf?
i think i'll look closer into jcr's & just weld on some tubing if needed.

The armor just came to market. Many times, companies will announce a product, then wait for a significant amount of orders before building the first batch. I'm not sure this is what OR-FAB does.

Ya, 8 weeks was a long wait, but these things are slick. Hopefully their order fulfillment times will drop to acceptable levels.

i stopped by 4 wheel parts today & they said they have these guards in stock ready to ship today if anyone cares...

i stopped by 4 wheel parts today & they said they have these guards in stock ready to ship today if anyone cares...

update: i bought a set from 4 wheel parts. they had them in stock in their warehouse & i picked them up the next day.
also they price matched quadratec's on line pricing! :kissyou:

i'll try to install them in the next week or so...:repair:

Question: Since the sheet metal is so thin & the armor is so thick, isn't there the possibility that in a situation where something has to give, it would be the sheet metal?
When I was buying my 1/4 panel armor I questioned the manufacturer as to why his wasn't 3/16 when the competition was. Below is a quote of his reply and it made sense to me (but I'm hardly an expert). To put his reply in perspective: his armor also extends upwards to the last body line below the window, whereas the competition then, stopped at the lower body line.

"The competitors may be using 3/16"(.187) steel but they have to stop where they do because of the curve in the body and the bends. I have made sets from .179 before during the prototype stages (which is about 1 business card thinner that 3/16") and I had problems with them being TOO much stronger than the body its self. Instead of the armor giving slightly the side of the Jeep would collapse. That is why I have settled on 11 Ga. or .119" CRS (cold rolled steel). It seems to be the best of both worlds. It will hold up."

Cross section view of the guards (his pic):
full7.jpg

Newly installed last year:
firstimpression.jpg

They were made by Total Fabrication Solutions or Total Fab, but it looks like the website is no longer up. The armor has held up great, but I haven't really bashed it yet. The peace of mind can't be beat tho, regardless of the brand.

They are not that hard to make. Here is a picture of the custom guards on my XJ. A friend of mine made them from 3/16" plate. To match the curve of the panel he cut them in half horizontally and then welded them together at a slight angle. I installed them using carriage bolts so that I don't have to worry about shearing a bolt head off. I also used large washers on the inside of the bolts to make sure it stays on good. Ikept breaking my tail lights so I added metal tail light boxes too. In total I only spent $100.
20101023_184202_83.jpg

Back