• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

want to swap low to high

bert01xj

NAXJA Forum User
i have 01 xj with the low pinion and want to go to a high pinion what do i have to do to make this a bolt in. does it have to be a certain year?i pretty sure a 98 will work but there is not many to pick from in the JY around here.

what are you trying to do? If I was ever going to build up a 30, I would go ahead and get the HP version, but the LP will serve you just fine on 33's.

Any 84-early 2000 HP will bolt in, but you probably dont want a CAD axles, so 91+

As Austinaubinoe posted any 84-00 will fit, but you probably want to look for a vehicle '94 and up so that you can take advantage of the axles with larger (5-297X) U joints. If the vehicle has ABS then '91 and after should have axles with the larger U joints.

Last edited:
As Austinaubinoe posted any 84-00 will fit, but you probably want to look for a vehicle '94 and up so that you can take advantage of the axles with larger (5-297X) U joints. If the vehicle has ABS then '91 and after should have axles with the larger U joints.

but couldnt he just swap in his shafts from his LP 30?

but couldnt he just swap in his shafts from his LP 30?
yeah, but no sense getting small joint shafts when you could get large joint ones for the same price, my suggestion would be pick an axle off a vehicle with large joints and keep the shafts out of the LP axle as spares.

PS, remember that they switched unit bearing and brake rotor designs in mid 99, so if you cross that line, you'll have to use unit bearings and rotors that match (ie unit bearings and rotors both off the donor, or both off your vehicle) and also keep this in mind when you are keeping your shafts as spares, because you'll have to do a spindle nut on the trail instead of just swapping the whole bearing/spindle/inner shaft as a full assembly.

5'' lift with a t case drop

Thats not much of a reason,do you have any mods like gears/lockers?Ive been running my 2000 LP D30 for 10yrs now at 6"+ with zero issues.

Back