• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear end play

XJ=Fun

NAXJA Forum User
Im not sure if this goes in mod or not, but i have an xj 44 rear with 4:56 and a lockrite, the problem is that their seems to be some play when i go into gear, when i put it in reverse or drive its almost as if their is slack in the rear because i hear a thump and it kind of jerks, im not sure if their is a gear in the diff that is loose/has slack or something, i already had the tranny checked out and everything is fine, please help. If it helps i have a 98, auto, 4.5 inch lift,32's,ect. And i have a lockrite in the rear

'Hard to tell if there's something wrong. That "thump" you hear could be one of the clutches in the lock-rite engaging. Not even sure if there's a way to tell short of pulling the dif cover.

I get the same thing, and what I have found helps, is to clamp the front half of the leaf spring (pass. side) temporarily to see if it goes away. It does. After removing the clamp, the thump returns. This leads me to believe there is a tiny bit of axle rotation going from braking to a stop, and then starting out again. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have minimized it by using an extra spring clip in place of my temporary clamp on the leaf. This keeps the leafs from separating as much as they normally do, while still being able to slide against each other. Still flexes fine.

Well, I'm not too happy with it so I'm gona remove it and put in spiders for a little while to see if it helps, this is really more of a dd anyways, haven't wheeled since about march, I'm gona save up for a electric locker though if that removes the harshness.

I'd check your driveshaft u-jonts. I say that because the exact thing happened on my kid's Jeep as his u-joint worsened. Easy to check. While you're there, check the torque on your leaf spring U-bolts and hanger bolts. Are your leafs splayed?

tension in the suspension?...

my front end creeks and groans a bit when i put it into gear

i dd a xj with a lunchbox locker, what he is describing sounds like toast driveshaft ujoints, it doesnt sound anything like what my aussie does....

get under it, and put your hand on the rear transfercase output, you shouldnt feel ANY slack in the ujoint.

IF it's axle wrap, you should be able to avoid it by shifting very easily.... if it's the ujoint, it will clunk every single time your driveshaft changes direction.
\

That's normal for a diff with a lunchbox locker. Just turn up the stereo :D

I agree with John. My Powertrax No-Slip does the same thing. You'll get a little more "coast" so to speak. meaning, if you park on a hill for example, after you put it in park and take your foot off the brake, the rig will roll a bit. when you go to leave and put the trans in drive you will get a clunk. this is just normal lunchbox characteristics. -B

I agree with John. My Powertrax No-Slip does the same thing. You'll get a little more "coast" so to speak. meaning, if you park on a hill for example, after you put it in park and take your foot off the brake, the rig will roll a bit. when you go to leave and put the trans in drive you will get a clunk. this is just normal lunchbox characteristics. -B

Ok, yeah that kind of sounds like my same issue, although my jeep seems to be able to roll foreward and back quite a bit even on flat ground when parked.

Ok, yeah that kind of sounds like my same issue, although my jeep seems to be able to roll foreward and back quite a bit even on flat ground when parked.

Yup, thats what i mean. Mine does it, my bud's does it etc. Its normal. If you jack up the rear with the diff cover removed, move a tire and you can see the play in there. nothing to worry about just a pain. when i park on an incline i put in 4x and problem solved. -B

Are my leafs splayed? I'm not sure I understand

If your leaf u-bolts are loose, the leafs may spread out causing odd sensations as you described. Leafs should be lined up, not spread out (splayed). If splayed, loosen u-bolts, whack sides of leafs with BFH until aligned, then retorque u-bolts. Just an idea.

If your "end play" is more than you expect, then I still say your driveshaft u-joints may be failing. Look for wear.

Back