• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuse? Which one(s)?

solomon7

NAXJA Forum User
Everything was fine when I started it up and went to the store. I get back in, start it up and my cig lighter, streeo and climate fan won't operate.
I'm thinking it's a fuse, don't have a tester.

Anyone know on a 96 XJ which fuses I should look at and how to tell if they're blown? A diagram would be awesome. I'm assuming it's the panel under the kicker. Coorect me if wrong please and thanks!

Okay, that's weird.
I wnet out just now, unplugged the #9 (radio lighter etc.) fuse in eh kicker bay, plugged it back in, got a bit of a spark and now everything's fine.
1. is it okay to plug/unplug fuses with bat connected?
2. How does unplugging/plugging a fuse back in fix everything?
3. What the heck is going on with my ride?

I'm getting every fuse my car has from the store in a few jic.

If it's a loose wire I wouldn't even know where to begin. Any help appreciated.
The wife an dI are going camping DEEP for our anniversary on Monday so I want this fixed before then if possible.

1. Buy a multimeter. $3.99 at Harbor Freight. Less than $10 anywhere.
2. Don't buy the cheap dollar store fuse packs. I did that and one failed to properly melt when the circuit got overloaded. Burnt wires in the harness that it took me a couple of weeks to figure out and fix.

Plugging and unplugging a fuse will only really help if it resets a circuit breaker. Not a likely scenario. It was probably a coincidence. It doesn't hurt to do that with the battery still hooked.

sounds like it was just a dirty/lose connection that was improved when you unplugged and re-plugged the fuse. Try wiggling the fuse and see if it will make/break connection-- if not, call it fixed unless it happens again.

Back