• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Picking up a 1989 XJ Limited this saturday...

hupo224

NAXJA Forum User
I currently am selling my 1998. It's still getting me to work this week. I understand I am stepping into the renix world. I shot some photos and I'll list some details on it.

4x4 with powered everything and leather seats. Some stupid person came to look at it yesterday and messed with the distributor. So the motor runs a little rough and smokes a little bit. The lady told me it was not doing that until this person messed with it. It has been sitting for 8 months so it needs a tune up most definitely. Brakes need to be bled. I got in and she moved. Driver window does not go down. 143,000 miles. Picking it up for 500. Her husband is a mechanic and is going to bleed the brakes for me and replace the distributor and get it running the way it originally was. I'm not fully sure if 4x4 works. Its the transfer case with the full time on the road option. (which I didn't even know they had back then). I tried climbing a little hill in 2 wheel then in 4 wheel. But as I was doing that she ran out of gas. I'll post the pictures I have and when she emails me the photos I took with her camera (more detailed pictures) I will post them back here.

So, NAXJA, what do you think? School me if you want.
IJ8XO.jpg

cLHzq.jpg

OA63T.jpg

G7hA2.jpg

Krve2.jpg

WE9Jx.jpg

:roll:

I love the color too! And come on! I have to get another Cherokee! Not quite sure. Is the non high output motor (177hp?) a big deal compared to the h.o motor? I think it has a 242 tcase so it is a non vacuum disconnect front axle? I'm really not sure where I am going to start with this one. Probably a good tune up then replace what stupid things need to be replaced. Tow points, armor, small lift, all terrains. Something to tackle the green trails when I go back to RC.

I do have a question about a switch in this xj. There is a transmission switch? I forgot what it said about it. But there is a little stock toggle switch for the trans. Any clue what this can be?

Cannot wait :D

does the A/C work? I see someone converted it to 134A. I don't run the 134A connectors on mine because they don't seal off the valve like the steel R12 valve caps do... look pretty darn rusty.. and I can see where oil has been blowing under it..
Also it looks like one of the heater hoses is way too long..

does the A/C work? I see someone converted it to 134A. I don't run the 134A connectors on mine because they don't seal off the valve like the steel R12 valve caps do... look pretty darn rusty.. and I can see where oil has been blowing under it..
Also it looks like one of the heater hoses is way too long..

The a/c wasn't cold. Not sure if I let it run enough. Thought I did though. Is that a major problem with the 134a and heater hose?
Here is the full size photo of the engine bay
http://imgur.com/PArlL.jpg

edit: I got my brother to finally dump his V8 ZJ and is picking up a silver Limited 2000 XJ

Last edited:
I would pay $500 for it just for parts.

if it runs good, passes inspection... hell of a deal. My XJ I had in NJ (99) was a rust bucket. That is why I did not bring it to New Mexico.

The transmission switch changes the rpm where the transmission shifts. Lower MPG with it in power.

I would be prepared to replace the radiator if there is rust. Do a compression test too.
Check the EGR valve and clean up the TB and adjust the transmission downshift cable as well as adjust the TPS.
Also check the injectors for leakage if they are original. After all these years, they should be ready to fail!
The 242 is a find TC. I have one in each of mine.

Anywhere out there it is an issue.
Floorboards, rocker panels, check above the cat and exhaust. Hell, my cylinder head was way more rusty that yours in the pic... may be a good find. :thumbup:

Yeah it is hard to find non rust buckets by the shore. There is some stupid surface rust. But I'm going to blast most of it away and rustoleom it.

Excellent this is just what I wanted. Thank you. I'm going to get it home and power wash the shit out of it. Then I am going to do a tune up as well as check everything listed in this thread. Thanks a lot guys :)

Anywhere out there it is an issue.
Floorboards, rocker panels, check above the cat and exhaust. Hell, my cylinder head was way more rusty that yours in the pic... may be a good find. :thumbup:

Yeah the rockers look solid didn't check the floor boards. But from underneath I cannot see any rust from what I recall. Could be surface rust under the carpet. But if it does/doesn't it's still a good find.

Anybody have any info on the rims on this xj?

Last edited:
my normal approach is to hit the dollar store on the way home. I'll blow ten bucks on oven cleaner and a pair of swimming goggles. Hit the chassis with two cans of cleaner (don't forget the goggles) and move up to the engine bay. Three cans in there (avoiding the throttle body and TPS) and hit her with the pressure washer.

between the engine heat from the trip home, and the oven cleaner, you will be able to see anything suspect after it dries.

This method only uses about 5 cans, so you will have 3-4 to hit the really nasty spots and clean up the places you missed. Save the goggles 'til you're done and throw them away, knowing you can buy 14 more pair before you have spent the same amount as one co-pay at the hospital.

I will be sure to do that as well. Excellent idea. So spray it on the ride home then when I get home power wash it all off? This is perfect. Many great tips and ideas in this thread. Thank you. Keep em coming if you got em :D

*I forgot also to ask about the smoke. I turned on the xj and it ran. It stuttered slightly in a way. The jeep looked like it was slightly rocking from side to side then it stopped doing that. It was also smoking from the tailpipe. And when I opened the hood there was a tiny bit of smoke coming from a spot in the engine (driver side of valve cover). The smoke really burned my eyes. I know smoke and eyes don't go together but this smoke really hurt my eyes. The lady said there was no smoke and it idled much smoother before this person messed with it yesterday.

Last edited:
spray it either before you drive home (if it's not more than 10-15 minutes) or immediately after getting home. You don't want it to dry before you hose it off.

When you get a chance you need to change the fuel filter..You ran it out of gas..How old was the gas in the tank, it may just need a good tank of gas an some cleaner to run throw it..

Back