• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trans fluid not looking to good

SINCITY192

NAXJA Forum User
88 xj 6 cyl 4.0 auto trans
i noticed that while driving on the 83 that the jeep feels like its having trouble shifting or something
so when i got the chance i popped the hood and look at the tranny fluid. it was dark and had a lil burnt smell to it!
I definitely need to change this out right?

hey guys i thinking more on the lines of servicing this trans what do i need i got the fluid do i need a gasket or filter for the trans i did it once before but for got what i got for the trans any ideas

Personally I'd just pick up a case of whatever name brand dexron III you can find on sale. Pull the drain plug and measure how much drains out (should be less than a gallon, mine drains 3 quarts.) Put the plug back in and top it off with the same amount of new as you drained out. I'd drive it a few hundred miles and do the same thing again. After 3 or so partial changes, it should start to look fairly decent. I'd wait until then to change the filter and gasket.

The idea is to improve the detergent properties gradually and break loose any gunk fairly slowly so as not to plug things up. After It's been run for a while with decent fluid, then you are likely to remove any accumulated junk when you change the filter and set yourself up to get some good service out of the new filter since most of any junk that was going to break loose should be gone.

For ongoing maintenance, I just change 3 qts of ATF, every time I change the oil.

sounds easy enough i have to buy some more ATF fluid but i definitely can do Ill change in the fluid now and when i go get my wife from work n kids from school that should be enough driving mixed with stopping for the fluid and gasket/filter. Then i change again let it sit for a while before i drive, n repeat.

WHOA! Most critical is to get the right KIND of ATF. Double check other posts, but IIRC it is DEXII or DEXIII.

IMHO, draining the pan and refilling is just diluting the old crap. Drain the pan, change the filter, then do the poor man's flush. Search to find the details, but you disconnect one line at the cooler, pump out only a couple of quarts, top off, and keep going until it gets clear. Don't let it run dry.

I specified Dex III in my original reply, because I have not been able to find DexII readily available. An yes, your description of "diluting the old crap" is very accurate and my personal preference is to do it that way. Maybe it's an urban legend, but since the creation of the flush process about 15 years ago, there have been reports of old, neglected transmissions being flushed and failing almost immediately, presumably due to the rapid cleansing action of the fresh fluid breaking loose gunk and clogging passages in the valve body.

Back