• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help...I'm stumped again.

hghgrad

NAXJA Forum User
So, recently I went out and barely made it home. It would pop and crack and backfire with any little bit of throttle.

I changed the CPS out and now I can drive around the block, it revs fine in neutral and runs normally while pushing through the gears.

Now, the issue is still there when I push the clutch in and try to rev up a little bit. It's like the ignition cuts out. It won't go over 1000rpm without spitting and backfiring and going nuts.

I'm a little confused once again. Trying to get it fixed so I can sell it...since I really need a pick up truck right now.

Forgot to add...it's an 89 Renix 4.0...ax15/231

Check your EGR system.

Intake manifold leak or cracked? GF's does the same thing because her #1 runner has a crack in it. Try spraying carb cleaner around the intake manifold and exhaust. Obviously do this with a cold engine.

I've considered that, but the only time the problem exists now is with the clutch pedal pushed in. It drives down the street normally (now that I got the CPS changed out). I can rev it in neutral and it doesn't studder or pop...but it does smell awful bad.

I've changed out the CPS, TPS, Map, IACV, Oxygen sensor, CTS, ICM, Coil. The IAT tests fine.

Fuel pressure is perfect.

Not sure where else to look really.

check the wiring to the cps and that the cps isnt crooked where it mounts. im trying to think how pushing the clutch in would affect how it runs. maybe the flywheel is cracked or loose causing the cps to not read it right.

I guess I'm going to have to make a spot in the garage so I can rip the trans out and take a look around. I hate to put much more time or money into this when I'm trying to get rid of it. I want to get a Comanche so I can start working on my house a bit more. This is my trail rig...I've driven it a few times since Feb. I wanted to get it out more than once...but I really could use a truck right now.

Check the bell housing to engine bolts for tightness.

Spot on guys. Had to start it up and get it to shake violently again. Found a bolt that was on the verge of falling out.

Thanks for helping me brainstorm ladies/fellas. It's running great again.

Back