• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Push Button Start

4_litre_fury

NAXJA Forum User
So here's the deal. My ignition switch to my Jeep is broken. Sort of. When I put the key in and turn it forward all the accessories come on (radio, fuel pump, etc.) but when I turn it all the way forward the starter doesnt turn over without me mashing the key against the switch really hard and then turning it all the way forward which tells me the pins inside the switch are broken. So what I am trying to do is wire in a push button starter to my 96 XJ so that its wired in series with the Keyed ignition switch that would turn on the accessories like it does now but you would need to use the push button starter to actually start the rig. I want to wire it in this way 1. For theft reasons and 2. Because push button starters are badass. Before everyone jumps on me about searching the forums on how to do this trust me I have been. The closest thing I came up with is this...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=977127&highlight=start+button&page=2

Unfortunately the wire colors of his 88 and also the kid at the bottoms' 89 are different than my 96. The wires going into the Tumbler from left to right are:

Pink
Purple
Orange
Red
Grey w/White Tracer
Blue
Yellow

If I knew what order his wire colors were in I could just cross reference and then figure this out but he doesn't have a picture of it. Also I have seven wires going into mine and he only counts five. Long story short I have checked my Hanes Manual and the colors of the wires in the wiring diagram in there don't match my Jeep either. I have also looked online at many other sources and have come up empty handed. Has anyone else done this before? Any help would be appreciated. If you guys would like pictures of what I am talking about I will get them on here as soon as I can.

Also I have a 4.0 Litre (obviously in the name) and an AX-15 if that matters any.

Last edited:
There are push buttons made that you wire directly to the starter. Just turn the key on an push. My brother as one set up on his 66 Chevy truck. I think they're normally used on starters with bad solenoids as a temporary fix.

Both of my jeeps have push button switches, just in case...It is easy to do, just run power to your switch, then run the other side to your starter...Look into fixing the real problem too..Use the push button for a backup..

They are also cool in jeeps...Had to say it sorry..

fix the column. push button starts are cool on exotics, and race cars, you have a jeep.

My Steering column isn't broke. Thank you for wasting your time by replying to a technical question with an insult. I didn't ask what they are cool on. I asked how to wire one up. And who says you cant race a jeep? Ever heard of sand dragging?

Calm down. It's always funny when people get offended over silly things.

There are push buttons made that you wire directly to the starter. Just turn the key on and push. My brother as one set up on his 66 Chevy truck. I think they're normally used on starters with bad solenoids as a temporary fix.
Do it. It´s easy to do and a good back up... and cool too

I was gonna wire mine with one eventually, but I was gonna wire it on a panel with 4 small rocker switches before it and ditch the key entirely. Make it so that the juice runs through those switches first and they have to be set one way. Down, down, up, down, for example. But that is a ways down the road since mine still works just fine.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-remote-starter-switch-35448.html
image_349.jpg

I bought one of these back when my flexplate was bent (previous owner's doing during engine paintjob) sometimes I would need to turn the engine over by hand to get past the missing teeth. This was handy because I left it attached to the starter and under the hood so after turning it over I could test from the engine bay. After using it I thought a push button overide in the cab could be a cool thing to do aswell.

you checked to make sure it wasn't the NSS right? i've only seen one ignition switch go out on an XJ, and i've been working on em for years.

you checked to make sure it wasn't the NSS right? i've only seen one ignition switch go out on an XJ, and i've been working on em for years.

You must be thinking of those fancy late model ones, the early remote rod switches go out quite a bit.

all you need to do is find out which wire is run to the s terminal on the starter. i would disconnect the ignition switch and the small wire on the starter. then connect a meter to the end at the starter and try looking for continuity between one of the pins (around 0 ohms resistance) then just wire in a keyed power source to the switch and the other side to the wire you just found. i think that should work...

all you need to do is find out which wire is run to the s terminal on the starter. i would disconnect the ignition switch and the small wire on the starter. then connect a meter to the end at the starter and try looking for continuity between one of the pins (around 0 ohms resistance) then just wire in a keyed power source to the switch and the other side to the wire you just found. i think that should work...

Whats an NSS? Neutral Safety Switch?

Also Trippled, thankyou for your input. That is a great idea and I also believe that it will work. I'm going to get started on it first thing tommorow and I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks everyone for your help.

Also 90XJay I was thinking of a starter more along the lines of this....

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/11001/10002/-1

I already I have it so yeah. Thank you though. Its nice to see people on forums with knowledge that are actually there to help and not bash your idea's or criticize your lack of knowledge/experience.

I have one with a massive industrial pushbutton... looks awesome

What i did was essentially connect the positive terminal on the starter solenoid to the negative terminal, overriding the solenoid. One thing to be aware of though is that the starter will engage while the motor is running if you push the button so put it in a place where it can't be pushed on accident cause if you do you can seriously eff up your flywheel/starter. But i suggest getting a massive button...

fix the column. push button starts are cool on exotics, and race cars, you have a jeep.

Guess someone is just cranky about turning the BIG 30

push starts are cool if installed right, not just some huge button dangling from the dash

The switch will use the red as the 12v in to power the Yellow out(starter relay).

Last edited:
Back