• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best drop in air filter

4Doors

NAXJA Forum User
I'm interested in finding the best air filter (flow AND filtration) that will drop in my stock air box. I would prefer a dry filter but aside from a stock paper filter or a K&N I really don't know what's out there. Any suggestions?

Stock OEM filter from any parts store.

K&N suck, and the OEM stuff really does a good job filtering crap out.

AMSOIL Ea air filters. Dry. 100K miles (aprox). Just tap & blow out. Check it out at lubedealer.com/martyavalos. At the AMSOIL website, go to the upper right corner and put in your vehicle info and it will show you the part # for your application.

I'll look into the Amsoil, and I also just found that AEM makes a dryflow for our stock air box.
Probably similar technology. Wet gauze type on some applications can actually damage the AMS.

OEM style paper filter would be best in my view. Pretty well documented that the K&N style performance filters don't filter as well.

OEM style paper filter would be best in my view.

Ditto.

People seem to get caught up in the "get as much airflow in as possible" and ignore the fact that the environment we run in has dirt/dust in larger quantities than someone at the track or on the street sees.

Filtering ability has priority over airflow in my book (to an extent obviously).

Last edited:
I'll look into the Amsoil, and I also just found that AEM makes a dryflow for our stock air box.

AEM Dry Flow oh yeah! Since switching to one of these we have had ZERO signs of dirt getting into the intake (unlike the K&N which let A LOT of dirt in).

Y'know, my Jeep doesn't spend enough time at high RPM to warrant wringing the last few HP from my air filter. Personally, I'll lose 5 HP on the top end if it means my engine breathes cleaner air -- especially when I'm out in dry / dusty country between the mountain ranges...

greenairfilter.com PN 2004, can be found at amazon and other retailers, etc. Otherwise, Amsoil filter or Napa gold.

Back