• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ-5 Grille Build

licorice noose

NAXJA Forum User
I wanted to do something different with the frond end of my XJ. Decided to go with the round headlight look.

I found an old Willy's CJ-5 Grille on craigslist complete with the headlight buckets and old bullet turn signals so i had to use that as my starting point:

100_1205.jpg

I then proceeded with the painful task of hacking the grille to bits :cry::

04082010021.jpg

Cleaned up a bit:

04092010026.jpg

Here's a test fit on the 97' header panel:

04092010024.jpg

I'm torn between two ideas on how to build the grille. Looking for opinions.

The first is a more old school looking style. 14 skinny slots (small dots are for the turn signals.)

The second is more like the stock XJ grille, but with 7 rounded slots and the turn signals "floating" in the end slots.

grilledesigns.jpg

Please feel free to offer any advice, criticism, or general comments in regards to me being a heretic :yap:.

the first thing i thought when i saw it on the jeep was a 60s bronco but the grill is different.

how bout the 7 slots but make the turns signals like the first one and narrow the verticals between the slots that will take that hummer look away and give you more room for lights. all jeeps that don't have narrow verticals have a depression ruining in the middle for the illusion of 2 thinner verticals. or you could keep it wider and hammer in a depression.

Last edited:
I like the second as well but would set the small lights in like the first.

Maybe a combo of the two? I like the smaller slots, but the first one has too many.

Any reason not to go with an 8 slot grill?

Kinda like what this guy did? http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=95931 It will definately get some looks. The wider slots look like a TJ grille to me.

Yeah. Cruzin Illusion's jeep is awesome. Definitely an inspiration, but i'm not a huge fan of the old marker lights he kept in the corners.

That was what i was afraid of. I'm hoping the 7" headlights and the rounded slots will help keep it looking like a jeep.

Maybe a combo of the two? I like the smaller slots, but the first one has too many.

Any reason not to go with an 8 slot grill?

The factory grille had seven. I just kinda rolled with it. :laugh:

I like the second as well but would set the small lights in like the first.

04132010027.jpg

That was the original plan but it just doesn't really fit. it looks like if i moved each slot 1/2" or so closer together i could squeeze them in.

I like the 7 slot one. Could burn that out on a HD plasma table for a nice clean cut look. HUM?????? I have a HD Plasma table. I might have to send that down to the table.

Yeah. Cruzin Illusion's jeep is awesome. Definitely an inspiration, but i'm not a huge fan of the old marker lights he kept in the corners.

That was what i was afraid of. I'm hoping the 7" headlights and the rounded slots will help keep it looking like a jeep.

The factory grille had seven. I just kinda rolled with it. :laugh:

04132010027.jpg

That was the original plan but it just doesn't really fit. it looks like if i moved each slot 1/2" or so closer together i could squeeze them in.

i like this add some fiberglass to trace the turn and it would look good

I dig Cruzin's rig, and this one as well. Were it me, I'd prefer a bit larger light, or maybe try to mount it lower in the panel, and maybe an inboard fog like a KJ (which I believe is what the headlights are from).

25340920002_large.jpg

I enjoy these kinds of threads, even if it's not what I'd do. Always interesting to see what guys come up with, and how they pull it off.

Not quite finished in this pic, but I've always thought this XJ had kind of a cool look to it. I believe it belongs to Mark from Detours USA.

custom-blackie-lrg.jpg

Well, it took me a while to figure out how i was gonna do this. Not having much metal working experience, not to mention the right tools, i decided to stick to what i know.

Here it is mocked up (hell yeah hot glue.) :

04262010030.jpg

After fiberglass and initial sanding :

04272010032.jpg

...and a test fit after a bit more sanding :

04272010033.jpg

There's still a few pits and stuff that im gonna need to fill in with a bit more resin. I think it should be strong enough for its purpose.

Back