• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ-5 Grille Build

Hey guys,

Long time no post. I was thinking about this build earlier and figured i should update. In april, a California girl on her cell phone totaled my Cherokee :mad:.

Untitled.jpg

Luckily, I still hadn't gotten around to getting a gel coat on the grille so it wasn't installed. Not sure what i'm going to do with it now, But it's just sitting on top of my television. Sorry to the guys that wanted finished photos. Not much i can do about it!

I wasn't seriously hurt. That Olympic bumper has saved my skin twice now. Still looked like it was in usable condition. Cop made me walk home though :rolleyes:. It worked out in the end. Got way more money out of her insurance than the jeep was worth. Gonna try my hand at going fast. John D does have first dibs. Not sure i can let it go though. I still want a comanche.

Round head lights with their chrome trim rings are cool looking, but on a practical level a mod of 4 rectangle head lights are 'mo'bet'ta if wired up in a way to run all four lights at the same time.., blah, blah. Fun stuff to switch around Jeep parts and apply them in a rather canabalistic manner of customizations. Did the same to my old '79 model #17 rectangle lamps to the older round style by using solid heavy chromed ringed, and a heavy, (almost square), chromed grill from that which was used on the earlier Wagoneer, and J-10 models in which to also replace the model 17 plastic grill. The 17's had the origional round head light cut-outs in the front sheet metal around about the radiator opening. Bent the 17's hand held, (forced), hood release to make it 'mo available through the older style grill installation, and drilled some new holes around the round cut outs in order to insure that my headlight cyrstal facets became horizontal to ground level. Had to do that, (as seen by your twisted/slanted/ head lamp installation), in order to get the proper illumination on the road. Otherwise, it takes a lot of weird mental adjustments in order to tweak the verticle/horizontal screws to get something that will not mess with oncoming eyeballs, and get some use of ditch illuminations. Mostly, the almost cross-eyed spread of your lights as they are shown will deliver a lot, (if not 50% of your light spread), high into the sky, or trees along a road. Hence that particular annoyance drove me to drill some simple holes, and fab some tabs, in order to get the best road way/ditch coverages via low/high beam switchings. All in all, it's a bitch'in custom to do, and a little work to get it right. Part of that Jeep Thing.

Back