• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

head light switch

wildcat-xj

NAXJA Forum User
if you turn the head light switch is it supposed to turn on the dome light? mine wasn't, so i put it a new switch. turn the switch and the dome light does not come on. dome light does come on when door opens. any ideas? i did replace the dome light with one from an isuzu trooper. could that cause my problem?

Just the obvious stuff.

1. Fuse?
2. Bulb?
3. Screwed up wires? Ground?
4. Is Isuzu light a higher/lower amperage?

im assuming that if the fuse were out then it wouldn't work at all. would the door switch and headlight switch run the same light thru different fuses?

it is the same light for both features and the light works. so the bulb is good.

unless there is a messed up wire between the HL switch and the door switch, i don't think any wires are messed up.

i have no idea on the lights amperage. the isuzu light has the short straight bulb.

Last edited:
When you replaced the one from the isuzu, did you use all three wires? (I think pink, yellow, black)? Not sure on your year as I'm working with a '93 harness.

One circuit (yellow I believe) controls the dome light from the door jambs, the other (pink) controls it from the headlight.

When you replaced the one from the isuzu, did you use all three wires? (I think pink, yellow, black)? Not sure on your year as I'm working with a '93 harness.

One circuit (yellow I believe) controls the dome light from the door jambs, the other (pink) controls it from the headlight.
Pretty close, but not quite. Pink is constant +12V. Yellow is the intermittent ground from the door switches - grounds when doors are opened. Black is constant ground so you can push the switch for the map lights and have them come on with the door closed (this pin is unused by the stock dome light with no map lights.) I believe turning the headlight switch all the way CCW grounds the yellow wire but I'd have to check my FSM to be sure.

The stock dome light with no map lights uses only pink and yellow.

Pretty close, but not quite. Pink is constant +12V. Yellow is the intermittent ground from the door switches - grounds when doors are opened. Black is constant ground so you can push the switch for the map lights and have them come on with the door closed (this pin is unused by the stock dome light with no map lights.) I believe turning the headlight switch all the way CCW grounds the yellow wire but I'd have to check my FSM to be sure.

:doh: I forgot pink was constant +12V.

Interesting on the yellow being intermittent ground...I'm going to have to go back and look at my harness.

well. i put the oem light back in and the switch still doesn't turn on the light. must be something under the dash. yippeeeeee :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Checking the FSM, the headlight switch DOES also complete the circuit by grounding the yellow. You could ground the yellow wire at the switch to figure out if it is the switch or the circuit. Or the ground from the switch.

That's a really permanent ugly solution, which I do not like as a wiring perfectionist... :roll:

Unplug the connector to the headlight switch that has the yellow wire in it, then find the yellow wire's socket and use a piece of bell wire or test lead to ground that to something. If the light comes on, you either have the headlight switch installed incorrectly or both switches are defective. If the light does not come on you have a wiring fault somewhere, most likely an open circuit.

Back