• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 wheel bearing removal

andyk

NAXJA Forum User
I need to change my rear wheel bearing and axle shaft as they're both badly brinnelled and growling something awful.

The shaft and seal are out but I can't get the old bearing out. Can anybody suggest a method that doesn't involve using the pukka Jeep tool? Taking the other shaft and carrier out to knock it through from the other side is also not an option.

I've been trying to use a slide hammer puller, borrowed from work but can only get one leg behind the bearing as the puller's a bit big so it's obviously not an even pull. Does anyone know if the Sealey type slide hammer puller kits on Ebay will work? Are they small enough to get behind the bearing?

Two of the rollers have now come out of the bearing and the only other way I can think of is to very carefully cut through the bearing race with a Dremmel disc but I'm not sure if that will work as I assume the bearing race is hardened.

Any suggestions welcome!

PS. I searched but couldn't really find an answer.

What D35 do you have?
Is it the semi float or c clip?

If semi float,unbolt the four bolts from the backing plate and beat the snot out of it until it pops out. You're on the right track with the slide hammer. I had a helluva time getting the shafts out of my D35 the first time, 15 years in the same spot does that.

If it's c clip, you did take out the c clip right?
Otherwise, it's the same procedure.

It's a c clip axle. The shaft came out no problem and the seal wasn't too difficult once I managed to get behind the flange with a screwdriver.

The trouble is that the bearing is so tight inside the tube that the slide hammer/puller is having no effect.

Think I'll have a go with a Dremmel and lots of cutting discs to see if I can 'relieve' the pressure it's exerting on the tube to the point where the slide hammer might have a chance of pulling it out.

I see, I didn't read yourpost carefully enough. I thought you were having issues with the shaft.

Yes, you can cut the bearing race with a die grinder or dremel. Be careful not to cut all the way through or you will damage the axle tube.
Once you've gotten it cut 90% through, stop.
Get a chisel, place it in the slot you cut and strike it hard one time. The chisel should pop the remainig metal, but not go through to damage the tube. Do not get carried away here. If it doesn't pop, grind a little more with the dremel.
Once you pop through the bearing race it should come right out with the slide hammer.
good luck.

Thanks, that sounds like a plan.

As long as I'm careful to avoid touching the axle tube with the cutting disc, it'll hopefully enable the slide hammer/puller to be more effective.

I always figured the best way to remove a dana 35 wheel bearing from a vehicle was to remove the U-bolts, shocks, driveshaft, and brake lines, and install a 97 or newer 8.25.

Seriously though, sounds like you got things covered, let us know how it goes.

Well the bearing is finally out.

Used a dremmel, six cutting discs and lots of patience. Once the cage and rollers were removed it was relatively straightforward to slowly cut through the outer race to the point where one big knock with the slide hammer puller popped it out.

Now waiting for the new bits to arrive so that I can put it all back together.

Back