• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 4.0 Troubles

kybray44

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a 1990 with a 4.0 that has since been rebuilt.
Started tearing down the engine today and could not find what was causing my knocking sound. There are no visible gouges, no rods are bent, valves seem fine, I cannot for the life of me figure out what the problem is. The block seems fine because there was plenty of coolant (no leaks). The oil seemed near new(no shavings). Any one have any ideas. The guy i purchased it from said he was driving up a hill, then lost power and pulled over and got towed home. It still ran but had a knock and didnt have much power. There was no oil pressure and I dont know what else to check. Any pointers?

It was rebuilt and ran for about 60K before this kid had his mishap on the freeway. When i went to buy it the kid said it had a transmission problem. He also didn't notice that the oil pressure gauge did not work so he wasnt the brightest.

I have pulled the oil pan and have checked everything while cranking by hand. I can't see anything and will tear it down completely tomorrow.

Back