• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

whistling sound

imthehink

NAXJA Forum User
My jeep makes a whistling sound after driving it for a few minutes. It gets faster and louder as I speed up. The whistling sound goes away at idle. I press the gas at idle and let the rpms go up and it don't whistle. It only whistles when driving. I put it on jack stands and put it in drive to see if I could hear it, still nothing. It's coming from the front. I can't actually pinpoint where at in the front, because it only does it while driving. 93 auto 4.0 4wd. any help would be great.

On my 93 I changed the belt and idle pulley and the whistling went away. Dose it do it in park or just in drive? and you my want to see if your vac lines have any little leaks. I had a car that was whistling and that was it.

jeeptree said:
On my 93 I changed the belt and idle pulley and the whistling went away. Dose it do it in park or just in drive? and you my want to see if your vac lines have any little leaks. I had a car that was whistling and that was it.

Ditto. My '93 had a whistling that sounded like a toy train whistle when I throttled up. It did it more often when I would be driving, but would do it while parked too. It took me forever to figure out that it was a bad bearing in the idler pulley.

Mine is a 5sp so I can't figure out why the original poster's vehicle would do something similar, but not when in park. Mine was also much louder when cold, quieter or gone when warmed up.

Might not be a bad idea to check the condition of the vacuum hoses and PCV, then spray around the intake manifold under the throttle body and around the intake runners to the head - using carb cleaner as the spray material will cause the idle to bump up if a leak sucks in the carb cleaner.

Another thing: check the condition and fittment of the vacuum line from the engine to the brake booster. I've heard boosters whistle when the gasket around the one-way valve that plugs into the booster goes bad. Check to see that the booster is holding it's vacuum by starting the XJ, then turn it off, then pull the one-way valve out. You should get a rush of air into the booster as the vacuum seal is broken.

i did it i help some one sweet, there now i dont feel so bad when i ask everyone to help me. i got my idler pulley for $19 at napa two weeks ago.

the sound came back. I got a gatorback belt and put it on. The sound is a little more quiet, but now it sounds like birds chirping also. the waterpump seems fine, no leaks. All the pulley's are in line. any suggestions?

My jeep makes a similar noise...I get the whistle sound when driving only with the engine under load...I think it has to do with my A/C because the one time I could make it reproduce while sitting in the garage was when I was refilling the Coolant. I either didnt do this right or my a/c is shot so I am going to try it again soon just havnt gottn around to it yet but i think thats where my noise is coming from.

I just discovered this as I revved the engine and listened for the sound. It came from this area. Would this cause a whistle or any sounds?

S5031550.jpg

Last edited:
could it be the harmonic balancer. It don't look to good. Another thing I noticed, when slowing down, it gets a little louder now. The noise still goes away at idle.
S5031551.jpg

IMG%5D

Last edited:
ok, i'm stumped and annoyed. I took it to two shops and they couldn't find anything. The squeal starts at exactly 15 miles per hour and continues untill I stop. I've spun all the pulleys by hand and everything is good. help!!!

Mine does it too. I've narrowed it down to the A/C clutch. I noticed it does it when its cold, and I put on the defrosters which will cycle the A/C. I havn't fixed it but, mine doesn't do it all the time so it doesnt bother me.

Back