• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunk from XJ

fesojnaibaf

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, im new on here, hailing all the way over the pond from the uk...a friend of mine told me to come on here as i have a problem with my 1998 XJ

my car was knocking from the front right wheel (your passenger side i think) so had a look and the U-join was preished...replaced that hoping it would solve it, but it still carrys on..

basically when im driving it 'clunks'...its definately rotational as the speed of the clunk is dependant on the speed of the car...it does it in all the gears and in reverse...
i took the wheel off and turned it manually but couldnt feel or hear anything, so it only seems to happen when its under the load of the car...
there is no play in the wheel from side to side as i replaced the bareing..
i ahve some old looking bushes, but there is no play in the steering, i got someone to turn the wheel while i had a look...

i was wondering if it was the front diff or somehting to do with the brakes, as when i have my foot on the brake and turn the wheel, you can hear the whol side creeking and stuff...but i have replaqced them and it all fits fine!

im at my wits end over here..any advice would be appreciated guys..

Fabian,

Did you check the sliding bits that the brake caliper rides on? They're the bits the two mounting bolts go through, they are supposed to have a rubber bellows at each end of the steel tubing to keep road grime out. If they are badly worn I think it could cause something like what you describe. Normally I would also suspect U-joints but you already replaced yours - did you also check the unit bearing and when reassembling, make sure the axle shaft nut (36mm) was properly tightened to 175+ ft-lbs?

i dont know about the ends...i will have a look, but why would that cause a clunking noise?just the caliper moving???
i have tightened the nut up, but not to 175 ftlbs, just as much as i could, so will torque it tomorrow...thankyou..

unfortunatley this doesnt seem to have solved the problem..
the nut was fine, and the sliders seem ok, nothign corroded on the,..
any more ideas?

Possible hub/unit bearing I guess, a chipped tooth in the front axle ring gear transmitting noise, loose axle control arm bolts, wasted bushings, etc.. . You might look up Vince as he has an XJ although he is currently in Switzerland (has a house in Northhamptonshire, UK) he does come back to the UK from time to time. You might be able to get his help and/or advise.

Last edited:
Possible hub/unit bearing I guess, a chipped tooth in the front axle ring gear transmitting noise, loose axle control arm bolts, wasted bushings, etc.. . You might look up Vince as he has an XJ although he is currently in Switzerland (has a house in Northhamptonshire, UK) he does come back to the UK from time to time. You might be able to get his help and/or advise.

i thought it was the bareing, but thats a completely diff sound altogether...
which are the control arm bolts?iv checked most of the bolts on that side tho..and all the bushes seem to be fine..some are looking old, but you know these cars, cant go replacing everyhting that looks old..would have a new car..lol...

i will send vince a message, hes only down the road from me..about 1h drive

unit bearing maybe?
control arm bushings?
trackbar mount?
steering tre?
motor mounts?
track bar tre?

well i cannot say for sure, but it does clunk at the same time, faster i go, the more ofen it does it..so seems to, yeah!you thinking wheel?

If the clunk is mostly always heard and follows wheel rotation with no variation then it may be a u-joint or wheel bearing unit. If the clunk tends to be more road related and somewhat random then it may be related to suspension or steering components such as tie rod ends, uni-hub bearings, u-joint, shock bushing or bolt loose.
hth, DougN

Front axle ujoint should make more noise when turning. Have you checked the front driveshaft ujoint? It is relatiely easy to pull the driveshaft and check to see if it is freezing up. Excessive play is easy to check right on the vehicle.

Back