• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 to 231 TC help

ruger81

NAXJA Forum User
hello fellow jeep brothers i am new and have some Q's... this might be really dumb but here i go. ok i have a 242 i need a sye kit but i dont want the hack and tap. so i have been reading for three days and found out that the 231,242 and the 249 are pretty much the same inside expt for the difference in input splins and out put shafts.... so my big ? is can i take the back section of a 231 and put it on my 242 it appears to be the same then the sye kit would work maybe i have no clue askin for help:geek: i hope some one has thought of this or tryed it thanks...

just do the hack n' tap I was going to swap my 242 out for a 241 but decided to do the H&T instead and it wasn't hard at all took me a couple of hours. Then you will still have your full time 4wd. I believe it takes more time to do the full sye on a 241. I know the thought of cutting your output shaft makes you a little weary, I was too, just do it and you will be pleased.

The 242 has a differential inside, so it is quite a bit different internally from the 231. They are not interchangeable internally. For the 231 you can replace the output shaft to get a "real" fixed yoke, but on the 242 you have to replace some of the internals with parts from an H1 Hummer. In both cases it's a lot easier and cheaper to hack-n-tap on the tail of the existing output shaft.

I don't have the 242 but, I did the Hack and Tap on my 231 and it's not as bad as it seems like it would be. Pretty easy to do and works great.

just do the hack n' tap I was going to swap my 242 out for a 241 but decided to do the H&T instead and it wasn't hard at all took me a couple of hours. Then you will still have your full time 4wd. I believe it takes more time to do the full sye on a 241. I know the thought of cutting your output shaft makes you a little weary, I was too, just do it and you will be pleased.
do they make this hack and tap for a double cv or is it a flat plate

I just used the kit from RE and it worked great you just have to buy a flange adapter in order to use an XJ front shaft for the rear. or you can do the Iron rock H&T that uses a yolk instead of a flange which would allow you to interchange driveshafts at will.

Back