• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny swap

ferret063

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 95 4.0 2wd cherokee that i will be converting to 4wd. i have found a 98 4wd donor cherokee online and was wondering if i will have any trouble swapping the transmission from the 98 over? thanks for yalls help

Avanteone said:
No problem. Will bolt up exactly the same.

J

Yeah it will bolt up, but the 95 TCU will not work with the 98 AW4. See this thread http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101057 where I give some details about the changes to the AW4 in 1996 with the switch to ODBII.

It's still possible to make it work, but you'll have to pull the tail off both trannies and swap the output shaft speed sensor rotor and use the 95 speed sensor. The FSM has a pretty decent picture showing how to do this. You'll also need to drop the pan to swap the solenoid/sensor wiring harness or cut & splice the connectors.

not meaning to hijack the thread...but...if let's say someone had a 1990 cherokee with aw4 and was looking for a replacement - they should make sure it is pre 1996?

fuzzydog said:
not meaning to hijack the thread...but...if let's say someone had a 1990 cherokee with aw4 and was looking for a replacement - they should make sure it is pre 1996?

If you want a straight swap without the wiring or sensor issues, then yes.

Fuzzydog: 1990 was the last year with the 21 spline output to the transfer case. Some report that at least some 1990s got the later-year 23 spline output- best to check. If you try putting the later year tranny in, it will have a 23 spline output, meaning you need to swap the tcase input gear to match (Advance Adapters sells them), in addition to the issue posted above.

Back