• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Presure @ 80

chris420

NAXJA Forum User
My Oil Presure gauge is reading 80 but engine runs fine. When the engine is not running and the ignition is turned on the gauge reads 80 as well. Could this be an electrical problem with the sending unit?

Remove the electrical connector at the sending unit and clean all of the oil and such off of it and try it again, they are known for a bad connection there.

Try cleaning the connector first. If no help there, replace the sending unit. They are a very common failure on the 4.0.

I highly recommend purchasing this directly from Jeep for best reliability/accuracy/mating with your factory gauge. Aftermarket senders for this have been known to be very hit and miss.

How do I get the clip to release?

Ok figured out the clip release and cleaned the connections but it still reads 80. So I am waiting to find out if this a warranty part because I purchased a crate motor from Mopar and the dealer installed it.

So I am waiting to find out if this a warranty part because I purchased a $$$ crate motor from Mopar and the dealer installed it $$$

Bought a motor from the dealer AND had the dealer install it. Can't imagine that was cheap. For a mere $40 more, you can purchase a brand new oil pressure switch and install it yourself with an adjustable wrench. Compared to the cost of that motor and the install, this switch is pocket change!

For a quick check of system, try shorting the connector to ground. On a post-91 Jeep this should drop your pressure gauge to zero. An open connection pins the gauge at max. This is just opposite from older ones, and from what you'd expect on many other vehicles.

Bought a motor from the dealer AND had the dealer install it. Can't imagine that was cheap. For a mere $40 more, you can purchase a brand new oil pressure switch and install it yourself with an adjustable wrench. Compared to the cost of that motor and the install, this switch is pocket change!
On the other hand, if I had paid all that money to have it done that way then I'd go to the dealer and say "This had better be a warrantee item." Forty bucks on top of a gold brick is worth just as much as forty bucks on top of a cobblestone.

Ok I replaced the the Oil Presure switch and all is good. She is reading 40-50 now.

Tell me more about this if you can please.... Should cam bearings 'occasionally' seize if the engine is working as it should and in good running shape or are you saying that the 4.0 inline six is not a very good engine.. ;-)

George T.

Occasionally the 4.0L cam bearings will gall, causing 80 psi oil pressure for up to 6 hours after the engine's shut off.

or are you saying that the 4.0 inline six is not a very good engine.. ;-)

George T.

Saying something like that around here might be dangerous:hang:

Back