• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Stainless Lines

JAYS98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
How long should I make my new stainless brake lines for an XJ with a 3.5 RE lift? About 4 inches over stock? I guess I could go measure them. Just thought I would ask. Thanks for your time.

Im running a set of the 20 inch ss lines from rubicon express with a 3.5 SF kit.

I feel like they're too short. They max out easy.

just run yj lines in the front, they are about 3" longer than stock and about 1/3 the price of ss lines, i ran those for about a year and a half with 4.5" of lift with no problems

Stainless lines are cool, but they aren't stronger or more durable than stock rubber lines. Rubber lines stretch when they get caught on something on the trail, but stainless lines usually rip off. Kind of funny that stainless lines are popular as an upgrade, but I've seen them break on the trail 10 to 1 over rubber lines. The benefits of steel lines are custom lengths and slightly better brake feel because the steel line doesn't expand a little like a rubber line can........but most of us would never notice the difference.

YJ or S-10 stock brake lines are longer and bolt right up.

Yeah, I agree with that.

Your thread actually inspired me to call rubicon about the split casing on my lines.

They're reviewing it. Which means yeah right.

Hey what year S10? The ones I looked at had two different lines on each side. Thanks.

Don't remember. I heard that and bought an S-10 line for a spare a long time ago. It's been in my parts box for many years.

Yeah, I agree with that.

Your thread actually inspired me to call rubicon about the split casing on my lines.

They're reviewing it. Which means yeah right.

If you are referring to the clear rubber tubing on the outside of the stainless braid, it doesn't provide any function that affects braking. Mine are split as well. I've installed stainless lines on other vehicles that didn't have that outer coating. It's mainly to protect items near the braided line. The braid acts like a file, eating through anything that rubs up against it.

Yeah, your right. It just looks bad.

Rubicon's answer was basically "Well most companies don't have it at all, so you should be happy we made it like that, even though it's broken."

Fail.

Back