• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone tried an AAL + a XJ donor leaf

65airdale

NAXJA Forum User
I know the general consensus around here is that aftermarket AAL's take all the load in the leaf pack thus causing the leaf pack to sag quicker. How about using rocklizard's XJ AAL from a donor pack along with an aftermarket AAL. Seem's to me that this would give you your desired lift (3-5"?) along with a more balanced load share in your leaf pack. Anyone tried this. I'm getting ready to order a Rusty's 3" AAL kit and I think I might be able to score a free set of XJ leafs from an 89. I could be out in left field with this, but I figured I'd ask some of you XJ Guru's before I start going mad scientist on my XJ.

this is just me, and I'm not really anybody...but here's what I did...

Essentially I did 'bunch of AAL's' on my XJ - I kept the XJ main leave, got the leaf packs from a dakota, cut off the eyes on the main then put the whole pack (minus overload - that was overkill) under the XJ main and bolted it back up. It was cheap, easy and the spring pack works really well.

I intended to use the s-10 or dakota bastard pack, but I can't find the leaf springs where I live for under $75 a piece (for the 3 leaf not 4 leaf)!! That's life in Puerto Rico for Ya!!! I just ordered the Rusty's 3" AAL kit, but now a buddy of mine who is leaving offered me his 85 XJ leafs for free. I checked the back of his XJ and it's still at 17" So I would like to try a combo of Rusty's AAL and a leaf or two from the donor XJ to get around 4" and a good ride. Just trying to come up with some creative solutions for free. Any info before I start getting crazy with a sawzall would be greatly appreciated!!!

I said it before and Ill say it again, take your packs into your local spring shop, give them the add-a-leaf, tell em to rearc the springs to the add-a-leaf and put the add-a-leaf in and your good. in 3 years I havent had the rear sag yet, and it only settled 1/4" if that.

I have a 92 with a 4.5 Rough Country. I had to beef up my pack after the AAL. I used a donor main leaf that was the same length as my stock main leaf and then added a main leaf from a 2wd s-10 in the 4th position to take out the sag. Sits perfect!!

i am inthe middle of re-building my pack this is what i have done/plan to do.
i painted my leaves with a latex based paint, then added an AAL, i took the second leave from another XJ pack, cut it down to 3". added leaf spring liners (found any were they make leaf springs) all i need to do is pick up the liner that i ordered, i needed 65 1/2 feet. it was about 45 bucks. this should give me about 5 1/2 inches of lift. i did this becouse when i had all my tools and camping gear the rear whould sag. i would also recomend what "TWISTED_ED" said about taking them and getting them re-arched.

I want to thank everyone for their input, this is what I was hoping for. With the extremely limited resources here in Puerto Rico (lack of junkyards, spring shops, etc), and the shipping costs, the AAL is really my only option (plus the fact that I'm just a poor military dude). And when this donor XJ fell in my lap today, I had to find out if this could work. I think I'll try a couple diff setups, but the AAL plus a cut down XJ main leaf seems the way to go. For those of you using this type of setup. how is your ride?

Back