• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I just hate my jeep

Yeah I had one of those days not too long ago. Last Friday I went to the junkyard and bought a factory tow hitch. Got home, found out I need those brackets that go into the frame. Saturday I went to get them, noticed I didn't have the right tools to get the brackets out. Sunday I went back, knocked the rivets out and went home. Monday I tried putting it on but it wouldn't go. Tuesday I tried some more, stripped a bracket out and was about to take the gas tank off before realizing the two bolts that hold the tank up were seized, and I didn't feel like replacing them.
So now I'm just thinking of buying or making a bumper with a built-in receiver and d-rings. That way I can also keep the ground clearance in that area, since it is really easy to drag the hitch on every rock and obstacle.

So now I'm just thinking of buying or making a bumper with a built-in receiver and d-rings. That way I can also keep the ground clearance in that area, since it is really easy to drag the hitch on every rock and obstacle.

FYI: most bumpers while great for recovery can't be used for towing... so if you plan to tow, consider either a really good bumper or build one yourself or... get a hitch....

i had one of those days yesterday. i was ready to trade it in for anything BUT a jeep.

FYI: most bumpers while great for recovery can't be used for towing... so if you plan to tow, consider either a really good bumper or build one yourself or... get a hitch....
I don't have anything to tow with it right now (plus I don't see how safe that would be), I mainly just needed the hitch for a recovery point. However everything that can go wrong basically has, and as usual every bolt that I have to wrench on breaks or strips just about.

Most of us hate your Jeep too. :moon:

DAMN....is that Johnny???? Where you been Johnny? I see you moe on the freeway than I do online here. I saw you on 5 south Thursday about 6:30am I honked but don't know if you heard me. Well, that and you were in #3 lane doing 60 and I was in #1 lane doing 80. haha

DAMN....is that Johnny???? Where you been Johnny? I see you moe on the freeway than I do online here. I saw you on 5 south Thursday about 6:30am I honked but don't know if you heard me. Well, that and you were in #3 lane doing 60 and I was in #1 lane doing 80. haha

Yup, that must've been me. I like driving the MJ because it doesn't allow me to speed. :) And I get honked at a lot.

Last time I saw you was actually in the 7-11 parking lot in Irvine.

I was about ready to give my Jeep a stick of dynamite and the high end of a cliff the other day. 5 days to fail at putting a tow hitch on is just unacceptable.
Then again it basically took a month to put my lift on so I'm not too surprised. Stupid leaf spring bolts.

LOL... been there..... while my jeeps were nice and easy, my dad's was originally a utah vehicle and well.... rust bucket is an understatement.
This one is from MI, I was in MI at the time I tried to install the lift. The first lift I put on I broke 3 of the upper shock studs... no surprise there. Unfortunately I decided to put the lift on in the winter time. However it isn't rusty, the floorboards look extremely good. There was only 1 hole in a quarter panel which I patched.

This one is from MI, I was in MI at the time I tried to install the lift. The first lift I put on I broke 3 of the upper shock studs... no surprise there. Unfortunately I decided to put the lift on in the winter time.

You're brave! In winter in MI you would not find me in the garage with tools for the fear of getting frozen stuck to on! :eek:

You're brave! In winter in MI you would not find me in the garage with tools for the fear of getting frozen stuck to on! :eek:
Yeah, luckily for the Jeep I had a kerosene heater at a friend's house and stuff like that. I also had a '79 Firebird that worked on in a pole barn all winter with no heat or insulation. That was real fun. Basically I just wore my dad's army coat.

Love your Jeep and it will love you back. Its like a high maintenance wife...needs lots of TLC

Back