• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44a Swap into an XJ questions

Art101

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I found a deal on a d44a out of a zj that is already geared to 4.56 (the gearing i was already planning on using) and has a aussie locker installed. I want to put it in my xj, but I had a few questions. First, does anyone know where I can buy some spring perches that i can weld onto the d44a? I checked to see if 8.8 swap perches would work, but the 8.8 tubes are bigger than the d44a tubes. Also will my u-joints fit the d44a flange? Let me know. Thanks

i've read up on that axle enough... i know its not as strong as the 8.8, but from the research i have done i think it will do fine with my 35s... and its miles ahead of the d35 that i have now... lets not turn this into a "which axle is best" argument, but i just want answers to my two original questions

NO questions, Don't swap it.

i've read up on that axle enough... i know its not as strong as the 8.8, but from the research i have done i think it will do fine with my 35s... and its miles ahead of the d35 that i have now... lets not turn this into a "which axle is best" argument, but i just want answers to my two original questions

Apparently you haven't. Its not as strong as an 8.8, its not even as strong as a Dana 44.

It has an aluminum housing, which the owners manual specifically states "do not jack axle from under the housing." You expect that to withstand bashing into a rock? Aftermarket parts are slim for it, because it is slightly different from a regular D44.

As Jes said, you do not want that axle.

Isn't the D44a all aluminum, like, everything but the gearset itself? If so... good luck finding aluminum spring perches. Check with a magnet if yuo don't know... if the magnet isn't stuck, your shit outa luck...

Isn't the D44a all aluminum, like, everything but the gearset itself? If so... good luck finding aluminum spring perches. Check with a magnet if yuo don't know... if the magnet isn't stuck, your shit outa luck...

The tubes are not aluminum.

But where do you think the "A" came from in D44a?

Fine, have fun. :wave1:

alright you guys are scarring me away from this axle... i have some people tell me it will do fine with 35s, and you guys are telling me that its gonna blow up... you talk like its a dana 35 lol

i guess i'll have to do an 8.8, but thats more of a pain in the ass. this d44a axle is so attractive to me because its already geared and locked

If cost is a concern consider a 29 spline 8.25... Not quite as strong as a regular D44...but stronger then the 44A with the aluminum center section. bolt in, cheap.

Dude, it better be a sweet deal. Get an XJ d44. There was a guy on here selling one for 800 with an Eaton E-Locker and 4.56's. You can get an 8.8 with 4.10's already in it. 4.10's will be OK with 35's, although not ideal, would be a heck of a lot better than your 35 and 3.55's. Just an FYI if you plan on sticking around...If someone with a RED user name and a post count in the thousands tries to steer you away from something, you might want to take what he's saying into consideration. Your U-joint size is also a minor consideration when looking for an axle. There are adaptor U joints and flanges available for just about every popular swap. You would be better off going with a C 8.25 than this POS, at least that's a direct bolt on. Do what you like but I think you might want to heed the advice given. RUN AWAY

i have a buddy that has a lead on a disc brake explorer 8.8... i'm going to see where that takes me... as far as cost is concerned just the cost of a locker and 4.56 install is what scares... i can weld and all that so the perches and shock tabs shouldnt be an issue for cost, but i dont know how to properly install a pinion gear... so i will have to pay to get it regeared

also thanks for the advice i know how people feel towards noobs on forums... i wanted to hear what i wanted to hear, didnt get to hear that but atleast i am not getting steered the wrong direction

is that xj d44 with the 4.56s still available?

Last edited:
So why not get a 4.10 exploder 8.8 rear, run that in 2wd for a few days and see how you like it. If you do, find a 4cyl 5 speed Jeep with a 30 front and you've got your front gears too. If its a TJ or XJ axle swap the whole axle in and you don't have to do any setup. Throw a lunchbox locker in for ~$300 and you don't have to do any gear setup. Prolly run you half the price of getting gears and having them set up.

I wouldn't do one, but if it's a good enough deal and you can sell it again for at least what you pay for it, you could try it. Make sure you won't need to modify your driveshaft length, cause that's not cheap. Spring perches are sold all over the place, polyperformance.com is one that comes to mind. I would just google "spring perches" along with 2.75 or whatever the tube size is and see what comes up. I just make my own now with a drill press, hole saw, and grinder with cutoff wheel. Speaking from experience, if you end up breaking on the trail without spares, it really sucks.

So why not get a 4.10 exploder 8.8 rear, run that in 2wd for a few days and see how you like it. If you do, find a 4cyl 5 speed Jeep with a 30 front and you've got your front gears too. If its a TJ or XJ axle swap the whole axle in and you don't have to do any setup. Throw a lunchbox locker in for ~$300 and you don't have to do any gear setup. Prolly run you half the price of getting gears and having them set up.

Now I know automatic jeep transmissions like mine are kind of crappy. How do you think it will do with 4.10s and 35s? If it will do ok, then I will take this advice and buy a 4.10 8.8 and start with that.

Now I know automatic jeep transmissions like mine are kind of crappy. How do you think it will do with 4.10s and 35s? If it will do ok, then I will take this advice and buy a 4.10 8.8 and start with that.
do you have a 5spd or an automatic? if you have an auto then you have an aw4.

if you have the aw4, that is clearly stated to be one of the best trannys Jeep ever used.

NO questions, Don't swap it.

It has an aluminum housing, which the owners manual specifically states "do not jack axle from under the housing." You expect that to withstand bashing into a rock? Aftermarket parts are slim for it, because it is slightly different from a regular D44.

Most manuals say that, even with a regular axle.

If the D44a is a good deal and your easy on the skinny pedal, then go for it, you'll get disc brakes with it and having it come with 4.56 gears and a locker then that will save you a bundle. But if it's an average deal, don't bother, like others say and 8.8 or an 8.25 will be a better choice, then you have to worry less about bustin something.

Back