• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NO DASH LIGHTS, HELP!

ebxjbob

NAXJA Forum User
ok I know theres been a lot of posts with this topic because I just searched them, slightly different issue though

just gave my dad my 96 and picked up a 97 cherokee country, 4.0/aw4/np231 139,000

I just read that if you have no dash lights and no running lights to start checking fuses

I just went outside and I have NO dash lights BUT, I DO have running lights

SO, before I start checking fuses, could this still be a fuse issue, or is it more likely the dimmer switch, meaning I should look for a new headlight switch??

TIA

all of the dash lights are out

I can only see the odometer and the clock on the radio, which dims when I turn the headlights on

making me think its the dimmer switch, just want to check before I start either wasting my time checking fuses, or wasting money on a switch

if the closk on the radio dims it's not likely the switch. The clock dims when it senses power coming to the illum wire on the radio. I'd say check the bulbs, then check the wire itself for voltage at one of the sockets and work backwards.

basso4735 said:
checking fuses is not a waste of time if it saves you money.
x2. i blew the fuse in the fuse/relay box under the hood and i lost the dash lights/guages as well as the radio. replaced the fuse and all was well. it's quick and easy to check so start there

Once I lost all guage and dash power, and after searching, I saw that my underhood light wire was pinched and shorted. Changed a fuse (can't remember if it was underhood or in-cab) and everything worked fine again.

Alright I agree with checking fuses before changing switches, looks like I found myself something to do tomorow, thanks

I have the same issue right now. 1988 Cherokee with no dash/radio lights. The running lights work just fine and the fuse appears to be fine.

I replaced it just to make sure, but the socket for the fuse was very loose. I imagine someone tried to tap into it sometime in the past and stretched the socket out.

I'll try to bend the tabs back into place tonight and see if that helps... but I dunno.

Back