• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 front end gearing/locker options..

Kinslayer

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, currently i'm running a d44 rear with 3.73s, d30 front also with 3.73s (duh), and two aussies.. The D30 front is from my old 90xj so it's got the vac disco set up, I ripped that out and put in a cable disco since my truck is a 98 now and has no set up for the vac..

anyway i'm thinking about ditching the front end because I >THINK< I might have an inner axle seal leak, if small.. and the posilok cable system does nothing but piss me off..

So the replacement would be a d30 from a 97 (no disco), it has 3.55s so I have to regear it as well as install an ARB (i'm a fan of selectable front ends)

I run 32x9.50 TSLs currently, possible upgrade in the future would be a 34x10.5 LTB. I have no issues with the gear range with the 3.73s currently, and another future upgrade would be an atlas 2spd.

Two questions:

1) Everyone likes ARBs, but besides the OX, what are my options?

2) Should I bother sourcing and acquiring a deeper gearset (say 4.1:1 or 4.88:1) for both axles and re-gear? Or should I stick with 3.73's and just re-gear the front on the bench while i'm building?

I'm kind of leaning towards sticking with the 3.73 because replacements are factory parts and thus cheap, and of course tearing in to the d44 again is not on my to-do list ;).. I mean i'm totally happy with the on-road characteristics (I roll 31x10.50 ATs on the street) and if I end up getting an atlas i'd probably go with a 5:1 lowrange (just so my 4:1 friends can suck it)

But anyway, give me some comments/thoughts

Back