• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shaving a 8.25 housing

tucke

NAXJA Forum User
I have heard reference to shaving a 8.25 housing and tried to search it. I don't know if I just don't have the right terms but nothing shows up. Are there any pictures of what people are shaving off of the housing. Thanks.

This is what the back of the housing looked like before I shaved it...
standard.jpg

These pictures are taken from the front before and after I shaved the housing...

Before:

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

After:

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Shaving the housing provides more clearance and allows the differential to slide over rocks easier....
Used an abrasive grinding stone to smooth and remove the housing material....

Last edited:
Better off to buy the RuffStuff cover and shave it even to the cover, I've done this to 2 of mine and no issues beating the h*** out of them.

What tool w/ an abrasive stone did you use to do that?

Looks like the consensus is the 4.5" angle grinder....time to break mine out :D

<Madgaskar "Skipper" voice>
By scientific methode my friend, by scientific methode.
</skipper>

I believe someone here did the tried and true 10 Summo (tm pending*) test.

They set up deflection gages on the axle tubes, then they got a special hitch platform setup on the 2" reciever so that 10 Summo Wrestlers could stand comfortably on it. At the count of 3, they all jumped up and landed in the Summo (tm*) stance.

Well the Class III hitch tore straight off the frame mounts as if they were attached with nylon bolts, but the gages at the axle registered no deflection.

Thus it was deamed "Good to Go" (tm*), and also "Reliable as Hell" (tm*).

Inspector 12 from Haynes stamped her seal of approval on it, and there you have it.

:D

Ron

Last edited:
Thinking about doing this to mine. I need all the clearance I can get with 32's on the trails I've been on lately. I've been bashing the hell out of my 8.25 diff, on the front and back of it. That Ruff Stuff cover is damn strong.

Thinking about doing this to mine. I need all the clearance I can get with 32's on the trails I've been on lately. I've been bashing the hell out of my 8.25 diff, on the front and back of it. That Ruff Stuff cover is damn strong.

I run 32's on my '98 also... I am conscious of the location of my front and rear pumpkins and try to pick lines for an obstacle that dont BASH the differentials.... Understanding that there are occasions where it is unavoidable...; smoothing of the pumpkin will all the differential to slide across instead of getting hung up...

Back