• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Kevlar MT/Rs in the snow?

98CherokeeSport

NAXJA Forum User
I searched around and didnt find much on this topic. i am seriously considering the new kevlar mt/rs in 35s because of everything i have heard about them. i know the old mt/rs do great in the snow because i have a set and have tested them myself. has anyone else had any experience with these new mt/rs in the snow?

help convince me!

Have they even been available long enough to test in snow yet??

thats what im not sure of. i dont know when they came out exactly. but i know someone had to have found snow somewhere since they came out

I would look elseware. I had the old MT/R's and I wasn't impressed over the long run. I've seen the new MT/R's and I wasn't impressed with how they did in the claylike mud we have in the Midwest. They got the job done but it they didn't seem to clean all that well. About the same as my MT/R's. If you are running on the street more than trail they might be okay but if it is a trail dedicated rig there are a lot better options that will cost you less.

Parakeet

I searched around and didnt find much on this topic. i am seriously considering the new kevlar mt/rs in 35s because of everything i have heard about them. i know the old mt/rs do great in the snow because i have a set and have tested them myself. has anyone else had any experience with these new mt/rs in the snow?

help convince me!

I have a set of Kevlars in 31 10.5 r15. If you want to run them in the snow, you will have to get them siped; period. I will be doing this before the winter comes. Those solid blocks are going to be horrible at grabbing greasy roads. You really need to be able to have the tire dig meaning you need more smaller grabbing surfaces on the tire, as opposed to fewer bigger ones which make them good in mud.

The wild card will be how the strip of close blocks in the middle will affect snow handling. I think they will help with lateral movement. It should be interesting.

I would look elseware. I had the old MT/R's and I wasn't impressed over the long run. I've seen the new MT/R's and I wasn't impressed with how they did in the claylike mud we have in the Midwest. They got the job done but it they didn't seem to clean all that well. About the same as my MT/R's. If you are running on the street more than trail they might be okay but if it is a trail dedicated rig there are a lot better options that will cost you less.

Parakeet

I have had absolutely no problems with cleaning on mine. Its pretty much if you spin them fast enough theyll clean just about anything. Great overall tires, very much worth the extra $200 they cost compared to others.

I had 35" TrXus which are awesome in snow and every other area save for balancing. I sold my TrXus to buy the 35" Kevlar's. i'm sure not sorry so far. Great highway ride, was surprised in mud and slick rock and sh!t what a sidewall; also they balanced like a bored wife's checkbook. Alas no snow to play in yet, not long though. If i find they suck on snow and black ice the 35" BFG AT's will be on for the winter.
The M/TR got ripped a new one in the Petersen's 33" Tire mud shootout.
Trxus got 1st and Kev's dead last. This is strictly Gooey mud. But it was all subjective.
On the other hand, Kev's have snagged a few Off-Road wins, including Harley Letner's defeat of 266 to win the Tecate SCORE Baja 500. I know this means sh!t to crawlers, but to DD trail riders it shows it's one strong tire as there is no 'race version' of the Kev's. -B

I have the Firestone Destination M/Ts and they're awesome. Not too soft but not too hard, smooth and quiet on the road (for muds), sticky on the rocks, they plow through the mud, they don't slip around in the snow and they're studdable. Worth looking into, and cheaper than the MTRs too.

Doesn't seem to be too many reviews out there yet for these, especially in the snow. I'd say they'd do well with the smaller tread blocks in the middle of the tread.

Parakeet

He didn't ask how the tires did in clay-like mud, he asked about snow. He also said he liked the old MT/R's, so you not liking them wouldn't mean squat. As for clay-like mud, I was just in it this past weekend and the only tires that did well were bias-ply super swampers and krawlers. Not many street tires can handle clay without getting completely packed.

And tell all the competition guys running 38-42" MT/R w/kevlar that those tires are mainly meant for the street...

Here's a cut and paste of the final page of the tire comparison, the 2nd or 3rd post down:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1006202

No surprise that the new MTR kicks butt in the rocks, the old one did too. The reports I've read (both published reviews and word-of-mouth in person and online) say that the new MTR is better in the mud than the old one as well as quieter on the street while still providing great traction in most other conditions. I imagine they'll do pretty well in the snow, the old MTRs were good if you aired them way down.

Being that I have a dual-purpose wheeler, the new MTR will be at the top of my list when it comes time for new tires sometime next year.

thanks for the input guys! i am goin to guess that these will do fine in the snow. i cant imagine goodyear making a tire that is worse in any area than there first tire. and as for the clay mud stuff, i dont like mud. i avoid mud and when i do go through it it is mostly "dirty" water.

i think i am going to buy me a set of these in 35s next week and test them out myself

Back