• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JK Shock Upgrade Question

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
I scored some shocks off a JK Rubicon for the cost of shipping (woohoo!) and now I am having trouble getting them ready for the install. I understand that the bottom bushing of the front and rear shocks need to have the metal sleeve pressed out of them. I do not have a vice but I do have some c clamps but have had no luck in getting them out. I thought about just drilling the sleeves out untill they fit the axle mounts. But also, on the top bushing of the rear shocks...there is no sleeve, only a VERY small hole, and there is NO way a bar pin will fit through there. For the people who are running these shocks...is it going to be worth the trouble. or should I just sell em to someone who is willing to go through the trouble?

When you get the sleeves out of the shocks, you'll find that the holes in the bushings are very small. The rubber is compressed pretty hard. When you go to put bar pins in, it's a good idea to file off sharp corners(makes the install easier)

I'd find a vice if I were you. I would DEFINITELY suggest you don't try this with a C-clamp. There's a lot of pressure involved, and a c-clamp is begging for trouble.

Sell em,they really are not special in any way!

YES.
I have put them in 3 XJ's now and they were all running el cheapo shocks before (rusty's procomps and trailblazers) and the JK shocks always felt better then the cheap shocks.

Back