• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headliner has got to go

What Rd

NAXJA Forum User
My headliner has finally past the point of no return and has got to go. So the question is what to do once I've pulled it out of there. I don't want to try to recover the original or replace it with another. I want something more durable and cleanable (funny how much mud I get on that damn thing) but don't want to run with just the sheetmetal.
So what have you guys done? I Herculined the entire tub several years back and have been very happy with how that has held up. But I'd like something that will insulate cold and noise a bit better - maybe like a carpet glued to the roof or even some durable carpet padding (is there such a thing?) Ideas? Ideas based on experience?
TIA

I had a small section left above the windshield and behind the rear seats and I too was tired of the fabric sagging.

1 gal. fiberglass resin Lowes 35.00 bucks

I took the headliner out laid it on a flat surface. I left the sagging cloth on it (PROBABLY BETTER WITHOUT THE CLOTH ON). I then mixed about 16 oz of the resin with right amount of hardener. I poured the resin directly on the headliner and spread it out with a plastic bondo applicator while trying to get out the wrinkles.

Since the resin is clear you don't even have to paint it.

I did 4 coats. The first coat took allot more than the next 3. I now have a headliner that is waterproof, hard and will never sag again.

You will need a helper to get the headliner back in so you don't kink it.

Hadn't considered anything like that. How long ago did you do that, and how's it been treatin' ya?

I had a small section left above the windshield and behind the rear seats and I too was tired of the fabric sagging.

1 gal. fiberglass resin Lowes 35.00 bucks

I took the headliner out laid it on a flat surface. I left the sagging cloth on it (PROBABLY BETTER WITHOUT THE CLOTH ON). I then mixed about 16 oz of the resin with right amount of hardener. I poured the resin directly on the headliner and spread it out with a plastic bondo applicator while trying to get out the wrinkles.

Since the resin is clear you don't even have to paint it.

I did 4 coats. The first coat took allot more than the next 3. I now have a headliner that is waterproof, hard and will never sag again.

You will need a helper to get the headliner back in so you don't kink it.

I've been thinking about sealing mine and then gluing some indoor/outdoor carpet to it.

So, as the other poster asked, how is that holding up for you?

I have had it like that for about 6 months and it has held up quite well. I have been able to wipe it off and it has gotten water on it, ok well a lot of water on it and it has held just like the day I did it.

It took a day to fiberglass the headliner. I waited about an hour between coats and the last coat I let sit for a couple hours more.

Like I said before have a helper when you install the headliner, you just don't want to kink it.

Back